Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Maple Planked Pork

jake42
jake42 Posts: 932
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
PlankPork1.jpg
<p />Kinda' went into pork overload.
Plank2.jpg

Comments

• AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    jake42,
    Looks good, how did it taste? -RP

• TRex
    TRex Posts: 2,714
    jake42,[p]Now THAT'S a great idea! Did the maple plank impart much flavor?[p]Thanks,[p]TRex
  • jake42
    jake42 Posts: 932
    plank2.jpg
    <p />AZRP,
    Actually it really tasted good.
    I soaked the plank overnight in a mixture of apple juice and water. It was my first time cooking anything on a plank besides fish.
    salmoncook.jpg

• Jake
    Jake Posts: 92
    TRex,
    Actually it did. I soaked it in applejuice and water over night. I believe the key is to really let that plank heat up and start to smolder before you put the meat on it. Been cooking on planks for quite awhile but this is the first time putting anything besides fish on it.

• Have read this thread with interest. Have never cooked on a plank before. [p]Was curious if the fish would mess up the plank for future usage. Couldn't find anything on Nekkid Whiz's site or in here. So did a search. [p]See the link - found that article on plank cooking which I thought was pretty interesting. [p]That article says you only use a plank once and then throw it away. [p]Is that what ya'll do? [p]At $4 or $5 per plank, if you're cooking for several people, seems like that'd get a little pricey. [p]Appreciate all the info am getting from in here. Sorry if my questions are a little naive - but I am new to Eggdom. [p]Bubba T.[p]
    [ul][li]Plank Cooking[/ul]
  • Bubba_T,
    You can save on them by making your own if you can get by without them being branded. Go to your local lumber yard and get 6" boards and cut them approx. 16" long. Just be sure you are buying clean untreated wood. I bought a 8' cedar plank today for $10.00, cut it into 6 planks. That makes them an acceptable $1.66 each. [p]Repeat "Be certain you are not buying chemically treated wood"!!

• when cooking with the planks, i know you have to allow for more time, i have seen website that say 50% more time, but nowhere have i seen what temp to do it at. can anyone advise me on the temp? thanks