Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Fantasy and FireFlies. (along with chutney loin) long!!

Options
Char-Woody
Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Here is to all my fire starting pyro friends...strike a match..heeeeyaaa.

First the loin..I have a large roped and tied 7.22 lb loin cut in the middle and folded and tied. My "meat cutter" did such a fine job tying that I left it that a way. I poked my "Black and Croswell" Major Daves Imported Mangos Chutney (peach next time) inside with my handy small tongs from both ends and tied the ends with bamboo spikes.
This about 14" long overall. Rubbed in "Snider's" rib and roast rub on the exterior. First time for both of these entreatments. I am a sucker for a new face on a rub. I try to beat JJ's but have tough time.
OK..we have that critter ready to rumble in the Egg corral...here is the good part.
This is a timed experiment for all you believers and non believers. Beat it if you can.
Outside it is gusty..15F degrees...cold.
My BGE is cold..with old charcoal from my sirloin steak cook two nights ago.
I prepared a small cube of firestarter log (use bright light colored)on the end of a toothpick..
(So I don't burn me fingers with my cigarette lighter and I don't smoke. Got it special for this purpose.)
Opened dome, stirred all the ash out of my old burned charcoal (with pecan chunks still in it) till I could see my firegrate below..nice and cleaned.
I lit the quarter sized hunk of firestarter, checked my watch and its 2:11 p.m. placed it on the grate. Placed a tent of used larger chunks of charcoal around the burning starter, being carefull not to kill the flame. This is how I build my "CORE" fire for all cooks.
Closed dome, opened lower vent and top vent wide open...here are the times and results.[p]2:11 start
2:15 ---100F
2:17 ---150F
2:18 ---200F
2:18:30-250F
2:18:45-300F
2:19:30-400F
2:20:00-475F
2:20:27-500F
2:21:00-550F
2:21:30-600F
2:22:30-725F
At this point I opened the dome..added a bunch of new charcoal, put in my grill, added my cold firebricks (3 of em) my drip pan with some water added, closed dome, placed my daisy wheel on wide open, and cracked my lower vent to a 1/4 inch for a approximate 325 peak dome temperature. It will rise on its own.
Inserted my loin at 2:30 p.m...Temperature inside the dome was 190F degrees and rising..Temperature at 2:46 was 200F degrees.
So much for the fantasy of overheating the BGE on startup..here is the reason. Your looking at flame temperatures, not actual dome cooking temps on start up. Even if you have a red hot core fire base started the dome shell has not had time to acclimate (absorb heat) to the higher temperatures.
Time now is 3:13 and the temperature has risen to 240F degrees. I bet it stops at 325...! Chutney pork loin tonight..yuuuummm...
Cheers to all who read this verbage..heeeyaaaa
Char-Woody
(I still have my electric fire starter and Wal-Mart Chimney for sale)

Comments

• Char-Woody says its now 4:02 and temps at 310 Dome..I will insert a polder at 5:00 p.m. for finish meat temps,looking for 145 to 150F internal. Higher internal should not hurt a thing.
    C~W[p]

• Cornfed
    Cornfed Posts: 1,324
    Options
    C~W,[p]Sounds awesome. Let us know how it turns out. How long would you say to cook the pork loin center cut chops (~1.5 inch thick) I'm doing tonight? I was thinking 5 minutes per side at 600 then a 5 minute dwell. I really don't have much of an intuitive idea since I usually do chops at insanity temps plus these are so thick.[p]We're going simple tonight - salt, pepper, and some of that William Sonoma "For Pork" Q sauce (which is pretty good, by the way). The one wild card is Finger Lickin' Tom just acquired some Dave's Insanity Spice Mix. This is the dry version of the famous Dave's Insanity Hot Sauce. We actually mixed a little bit of that in with the Q sauce which the chops are currently marinading in. We were very careful, though, to add just a tiny smidgeon of the stuff simply to spice up the chops while not making them "nuclear." We'll probably get the Egg going in about 45 minutes or so to eat a little after 7.[p]Later,
    Cornfed

• Char-Woody
    Options
    Cornfed, if full bore, 4 minutes per side would be plenty to char em up good..then give em a good 10 minute dwell. This is for a fully thawed hunka poke...I love em. I have a future "secret" chop cook to do..and if it swings right..it will be winnah..if not.. I not say a word but go hide in me spice closet...Did ya get that marble spice grinder yet?

• Char-Woody says Dome 335F...Time 5:04 PM..meat temp just inserted polder..is on the money...140F degrees..I will wait another ten minutes..Pull the loin, and foil wrap for another 20 minutes to slicing time..Just right for the tater cook and dinner prep.
    Cheers to ya all and thanks for reading ..I snitched a bite and it tastes delicious...!
    Char-Woody

• RhumAndJerk
    RhumAndJerk Posts: 1,506
    Options
    C~W,
    Sounds like it a winner. The next thing that you know, you will be making your own chutney. Thanks for sharing.[p]My Pulled Pork did taste better today. I cannot wait to make bean soup from the bone and fat.[p]The Lake Erie Snow Machine just kicked into overdrive for no apparent reason and the Oscars are starting up. It is almost time for another Pulled Pork Sammie.[p]I have been dreaming of Pork Loin, so a chutney loin may be next.[p]RhumAndJerk[p]

• Cornfed
    Options
    Char-Woody,[p]Welp, once again the best laid plans didn't come completely together. Started up the Small Egg and got to around 600* with the bottom vent totally open and the daisy wheel on but totally open. The egg was loaded with lump but in hindsight, one part of the coals were more lit than the other. Put on the chops and, after closing the dome, the temp was at about 450. For the duration of the cook, the temp fluctuated between 450 and 500 despite keeping the vent settings consistent. Because we never were at 600 (could have made it there by taking off the daisy completely, I'm sure), we just cooked the chops a little longer and just flipped every 6 minutes or so. Instead of 4-4-10 at really high temps we ended up doing 6-7-6-7 (or something like that) at between 450 and 500. Definitely a roll with the punches kind of cook where it's important not to get too excited that things are not exactly as you planned...[p]Anyway, the results were outstanding. The chops came out perfectly done...a small hint of pink but definitely cooked through. They could have been a little more rare but they were still very, very juicy. The knife slid through the chops like butter. The charred on Q sauce with a small amount of Dave's dry spice plus salt/pepper provided a very tasty crust. The amount of heat from the Dave's was enough to let you know it was there but not even approaching uncomfortable level.[p]Did up a small amount of frozen veggies on the stove and added some butter and melted cheese (can anyone name a food that doesn't taste good with butter and cheese???). All in all, a terrific meal. Thanks for all the suggestions and hope you enjoyed the pork loin.[p]Pork - not just for breakfast anymore,
    Cornfed

• Char-Woody
    Options
    RhumAndJerk, The Chutney Pork Loin is a winner. It has a lot going for it that I have been neglecting. I pulled it off at internal 152F..Tented for about 15 minutes, and it was fork tender..great fruity taste to it. Next time I will add some chopped pecan nuts or (?) The Tied loin gave me a idea. I am going to get a cheap plastic baster and convert it to a chutney stuffer for a loin. Twas a larnin eggsperience.
    C~W

• Char-Woody
    Options
    Cornfed, sometimes the small wants to teach ya a new trick or two, and it works..:-)[p]You say cap on??
    I never use a cap and bottom vent wide open for a high temp cook during start up and when I toss the meat on.. Sometimes I will use a solid cap for a flame control when it steps out of bounds. The smaller lower vent seems to be a built in control for top peaks in temps..but 600 to 700 is usually very easy to get to. I use a diamond mesh in my small also, so its easier.
    I have yet to get the Mini, but I think there are personality differences in each model.
    Cheers..happy eats to ya..
    C~W[p]

• Cornfed
    Options
    Char-Woody,[p]Actually, now that you mention it, it probably would have made more sense to simply remove the daisy and just close the bottom vent a smidgeon to get to the desired 600*. The reason I went with the daisy on but completely open is that with that configuration, I usually max out at around 600. With the opening and closing of the lid and futzing with the food, though, it probably would have been smarter to go with no top and simply to close the bottom vent a small amount.[p]Oh well, as you say, nothing but a learning experience. I usually just completely remove the top and open the bottom wide but that almost always results in 1000+....which I actually didn't want this time...[p]Glad to hear the pork loin turned out well. I'll have to try the chutney version soon. I'm really glad to have all of these BGE pros around. It allows new cooks like me to learn so much faster! If I were to go back in time and tell myself from 3 years ago the kinds of things I'd be cooking and the types of methods I'm using, me from 3 years ago would never have believed it.[p]This is not to say that I have the ability to go back in time...or that the radiant glow coming from my garage is any type of time machine or anything...or that this "flux capacitor" I've been playing with has to deal with time travel...or that that large plutonium order I placed on amazon.com is for time travel purposes...[p]...oops...I've said too much...[p]Time for another beer...
    Cornfed

• RhumAndJerk
    RhumAndJerk Posts: 1,506
    Options
    Char-Woody,
    …Or (?) a combination of toasted Pistachios, Cashews and Almonds. Now we are heading into Indian flavors that are very pronounced. [p]If you can find an Asian Market, you can find the nuts raw which is the best way to purchase them. To toast the nuts, just put them in a dry cast iron skillet over medium heat and keep the nuts moving so they do not burn. You will know when they are done by the smell.[p]That is a neat thought on the turkey baister. You could get the same effect by spiral slicing the pork loin, flatten it out and re-roll it like a jellyroll … or is that a chutney roll. [p]I am going to do a chutney pork loin soon.
    R&J

• Char-Woody
    Options
    RhumAndJerk, you have a way of getting the gastric juices flowing..No wonder KG lives next door to ya. :-) Great ideas. I am a chutney novice, but with that kind of help..who knows?? Thanks for the tips..
    C~W[p]

• Char-Woody
    Options
    Cornfed, let me correct you if I may..your posts indicate a very dexterious chef under all that software glimmer. And your a long ways from a newbie on the use of the small BGE. So run that thru your virus checker..heeeee. Your a BGE pro now and you know it...Glad to have ya pitchin sauce here.
    Big Cheers to ya...C~W[p]

• Cornfed
    Options
    Char-Woody,[p]CW, you're too kind. Some day, either I'll make it to Iowa or you'll make it to NJ and we can hang out and cause all sorts of trouble (while cooking some of the best food known to man...).[p]Later (program not nearly complete),
    Cornfed

• sprinter
    sprinter Posts: 1,188
    Options
    Char-Woody,[p]Quite a writeup CW, thanks for the information. If your loin turned out half as good as mine did this weekend, you had some GOOOOOOOOOODD eats. I'm going to post the recipe for the peach burbon glazed loin that I did this weekend later on this afternoon but its by FAR the best loin that I've done on the egg thus far.[p]Troy
  • Char-Woody
    Options
    sprinter, good mornin!! You could say I am "loining" from ya. I am now ready to try all chutney's. R&J has some "nutty" ideas also..! Fun city when the end product passes the gums and eyes blink approvals..:-)
    Cheers to ya...C~W[p]