Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Who’s ready for football and tailgating? We are! Check out our tailgating page for recipes that are great to bring to a tailgate, or cook at home if you’re entertaining friends during a game. If you need an easy breakfast recipe, these Sticky Buns are the way to go. If you’re looking for a fan favorite with bacon, try these Double Pork Sliders. We can’t wait to kick off another fall full of tasty food!

Coming to Atlanta for EGGtoberfest? Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340 - NOTE we are CLOSED on Saturday OCT 10th for EGGtoberfest.

Roasted Butternut Squash Soup

Smoked SignalsSmoked Signals Posts: 505
edited 9:22PM in EggHead Forum
I was making TRex steaks the other night (very good) and decided to do something different with the left over heat. [p]I split a butternut squash and tossed on some salt/pepper/EVOO. I threw some wine barrel chips on the fire and put the squash on the grid direct @ 350 for 30 minutes. The bottom started to burn so I added aluminum foil after that and cooked it until it was fork tender (another 20 minutes).[p]After that I brought it inside and ran the inside thru a blender with 2 roasted red peppers, 2 cups of milk, and 1 tsp of chipolte powder. It was quite spicy and smokey. Made about 4 cups of thick soup.[p]Yesterday I finished it with 2 pieces of bacon (julianed) and some crispy oyster crackers. [p]I'm pretty much a meat and taters kind of guy but this was very good. I guess I need to mix in a vegie every once in a while.
Who knew I had a vegetarian dish in me. :)[p]Doug

• Did you put the squash split side dowm on the grid, or peel side down?
  • stikestike Posts: 15,597
    Smoked Signals,
    did this new year's day. didn't use the same other ingredients, but we did roast the butternut on the bge.[p]our soup had some onions and garlic and celery/carrot for the aromatics. sweated them a bit, put in the roasted butternut, chicken stock, coconut milk, cream, curry and some salt and cracked pepper. always a hit.[p]

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Did you grill the squash cut side down or peel side down?