Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

first jerky report, very good, but.....

KennyG
KennyG Posts: 949
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Can't believe that it took me 4 years of Eggin' to get around to my first round of jerky. The verdict: very good, tasty and chewy with just the right nip of heat. It also came out pitch black and almost unappetizing in appearance until you take that first bite and then can't stop eating it. A question for you jerky gurus - is this normal?[p]I cooked the batch direct on a pair of grids positioned perpendicular to each other to prevent pieces from falling through. Stirred the pile every 20 minutes and held the lowest temp I could sustain, somewhere around 210* and pulled after 4 hours.[p]K~G

Comments

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    KennyG, Most of mine come out deep red to mahogany, black only where exposed to direct heat. Jerky can be made in many degrees of texture. Hi Mountain suggests and I agree that it need not be leather dry..but done to where it is still flexible and somewhat moist. About 3.5 to 4 hours is also my range. Some go much longer but lower temps..
    Welcome to the the Jerks Club..heeeeeyaa.
    C~W

• Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    KennyG, I cook jerky about once every two weeks. Mine sometimes comes out black like you said. I thought I just put to much Jack Daniels chips on. It may be the amount of sugar or syrup you use also. Mostly it comes out like CW said a deep mahogany.[p]CWM

• Mop
    Mop Posts: 496
    Hi Kenny, 210º is too high....your cooking it instead of drying it.
    Black is usually overdone.....you want the jerky to bend but not "snap"....
    Having said that , the black shiny ones taste the best but people don`t like the look of it...[p]I just came from the flea market 5 mins ago and what I noticed is that most people reach for the reddish (mohogany) coloured bags...
    I sold a fair amount and people just love jerky.......
    I like giving a sample to folks that have never tryed it and watch the expression......"They take the sample, say its good. walk away, get about 20 feet away then come back and buy a bag.
    That happened quite a bit.....thats fun.....[p]take care...
    Mop![p]Good stuff though eh![p]Mop!

• Char-Woody
    Mop, ain't it amazing the length of time it takes for the taste buds to react to the brain..?? 20 steps away you say??
    Good one..people are fun!
    C~W

• Mop
    I was serious, we noticed it right away so my wife went to give out samples "before" our booth in hopes that the taste buds kicked in right in front of the booth and it actually worked..
    However there are a TON of people that wouldn`t even try it.
    I`m kinda that way myself, I don`t usually take samples cause I don`t like feeling obligated to buy but my wife has no problem doing it.........I just give change...lol[p]Mop!

• Char-Woody
    Mop, My wiffy does this as a past time at the local HyVee store as a food sample lady..she has to beat em off with a broomstick at times..She has fun and actually gets paid for it. ..Sigh..!!
    Have fun with food!! Beats wearing out elbows in a bar..:-)
    C~W[p]

• MickeyT
    MickeyT Posts: 607
    KennyG,[p]Congrats...............Jerky for the first time and u can actually eat it?????[p]All my jerky comes out black/mahogany..... I watch the process and notice that when it turns black you can see the fat rendering out. I agree with Mop though. 210 is too hot. Maybe at the end it's okay but not @ first.[p]Watch out Kenny..........you may just get eggdictade to jerky.[p]Your buddy,[p]Mick
  • Mop
    I know what you mean about "beating them off with a stick", In those grocery stores and Costco and such I think the people don`t feel like they "have" to buy the product knowing the sample person works there and does not actually own or make the product that they are selling leaving the people not "obligated".
    I know that at Costco it`s like feeding time at the zoo when the samples come out.
    It`s repulsive to see the people "WAITING" for something to come out on the table for them to eat.
    My neighbour works for Costco and she says that she`ll tell people that the food won`t be ready for 10 minutes or so and they say "it`s ok, I`ll wait"......can you imagine that...
    I told her she should just stand back and feed them with a sling-shot![p]LOL[p]Mop!

• Chuck
    Chuck Posts: 812
    KennyG,
    I did my first batch of jerky today also. A few of my peices were a little too black also, but most was pretty good. I think I had the same temp problem you had. My biggest problem was not making enough. 5 lbs of brisket made a pretty nice pile of jerky but its almost all gone. I knew my son and I would love it, but my wife wouldn't stop eating it either, and she NEVER eats, or should I say ate, jerky.[p]Next time, more meat, less temp, same everything else. I can't wait already. [p]To those who gave me advice the other day, Thanks, you helped to make this a success!!!![p]Chuck

• Gfw
    Gfw Posts: 1,598
    KennyG, welcome to the world of jerky on the egg! I've never done it direct - I always use a couple of firebricks and a little lower temp. However, if it tastes the way you like it, you did it right! Life is GOOD! :~}

[ul][li]Gfw's BBQ[/ul]
  • RhumAndJerk
    RhumAndJerk Posts: 1,506
    Car Wash Mike,
    JD Chips sounds like a good idea. I have some and only used them once, they did have a good flavor.
    R&J

• Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    RhumAndJerk, Real good but a samll handfull goes a long way.[p]CWM