Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Does Size Matter??/

MW
MW Posts: 61
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Ok, had a lot of feedback telling me both to get a medium or a large BGE. Now the decision-making process must culminate in a purchase v.soon! So tell me, what is the down-side of the medium and the D/S of the large. I will probably coom more small meals (family of 4)than larger fests. I feel the large can handle both, but is it going to (a) take moe time to light and get up to temp? (b) use more fuel to cook up a couple fo burgers. Price is also a concern but the large seems to be less than $150 more.
Comments please ladies and gents...[p]MW

Comments

• Gfw
    Gfw Posts: 1,598
    MW, I have a medium BGE, which I love, but if I had it to do again (maybe next year) I would have purchased the large. The stated cooking surface for the large is 18.5 inches vs. 15 inches - that really is a big increase - especially for beef jerky or pizza or lots of chicken wings. For pizza I'm limited to a 13in pizza and some of the normal accessories aren't available. The medium handles my family of two, but if my 2 kids were still home, we would need the large. [p]Just my thoughts. Good luck whichever way you decide and whichever way you decide I'm sure that you will enjoy the egg!
  • D'man
    D'man Posts: 11
    MW,[p]I have a medium (upgraded from a small after about three weeks)! I love it, but I live alone. I do cook for the girl friend and others. If I were to make the decision again, I'd probably get a large. I also have a mini, but thats for travel and tail gateing.[p]Either way ... get an Egg! You'll LOVE it!

• JJ
    JJ Posts: 951
    MW,
    Family of 4 go for for the Large.
    Time to light. The same
    Use more fuel. The same for both
    The perfect combo is the Large and the small
    Bottom line go for the large with either a samll or a mint to compliment.

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    MW,
    I bought a medium, and upgraded to a large within 30 days. We also have a family of 4, and have found the large to be more versatile. For example I did a chicken on a vertical roaster that touched the dome on the medium when closed. Especially when you get into using firebricks/drip pans/second grates. The large seems to take a bit longer to heat up, but that is negligable. So IMO, get the large. In our area it was only 100 bucks more. If you find you become addicted to cooking, like me, you can always add a small. Use it for travelling, or as an extra for big parties, or when you are cooking a few steaks or pieces of chicken for your family. [p]Like JJ says, a large and a small are the perfect combo. And it doesn't really use any more fuel than the medium. Good luck in your decision. If you go with a medium BGE Atlanta offers a full refund within 30 days if you want to upgrade. Most dealers have some variation of the upgrade program. I had to pay a 10% restocking fee for my upgrade, If you get the medium, check with your dealer on their upgrade policy.[p]Look forward to hearing about your purchase, and experiences.
    Nature Boy

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Spin
    Spin Posts: 1,375
    MW,[p]You have not considered one thing. How much your cooking results will improve and then how much you will want to explore the possibilties of what you can make. Get the large.[p]Spin
  • MW
    Thank you all for your learned input...
    I feel a large once coming on!
    MW

• MW,
    I purchased a medium BGE, after requesting opinions on the forum as you are... they all argued for the Large. I only cook for 2 regularly and don't use the egg all the time; I also have a Weber gas grill which is used less frequently. [p]I chose the medium due to the minor/insignificant difference in price (viewed over 5-20 years) and space constraints.[p]If I could do it again (time machine) I would: Buy the LARGE.[p]Good luck either way,[p]Bill

• MW
    MW,[p]Agonized over this very same thing. Finally bit the bullet and got a large. I was the right decision..... would have never made it through the holiday's with a a medium. GO FOR THE GOLD! You won't regret it. Oh by the way...the food is as unbelievably good as everyone says![p]CaptainBBQ

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    MW, Here is my experience take it or leave it..:-) I did the research thing and fell in love with the BGE..I went to a local Home improvement show with my wife and became a bigamist...:-) The priestly salesman had only one BGE on the floor and it was the large BGE. He spoke the loving marriage ritual in "ON SALE" reduced price quotes to me, and I did the waltze out the door with the BGE. Large one.
    My wiffy didn't mind at all...heeeeee!
    Then we added the baby small later..they are a loving couple...All in fun...C~W[p]

• MW,
    Your on the right track dude...I cook for only me and my wife and I chose the large. The large has more room for things like Pizza Stones, drip pans, rib racks and allows the use of easy low cost grocery store items instead of expensive custom items just so's they'll fit. You will be using the drip pan a lot.

• Gretl
    Gretl Posts: 670
    MW,
    We were at the dealer's showroom and had already paid for a medium BGE; suddenly I balked and insisted on a large even though we were rather strapped for cash. Jim was skeptical, but he's commented many times since that he's never regretted getting the large size instead. Even though we're a family of three, we enjoy entertaining and love leftovers. Whole poultry is divine, as well as pizzas and... the list goes on. Get the large; you won't regret it.

• olblue
    olblue Posts: 42
    MW,
    I got the small, being a single parent. Since I don't have a need to cook big turkeys, I am not too handicaped. It is hard to cook 2 courses at once. [p]I don't believe the small lid opens as much as the larger sizes.

• MW,[p]I had a medium and traded it in for a large. I like the large because there are more options for pans, stones and accessories. As you already know it also fits a lot more things like ribs. I do, however, really miss the medium because it was easier to move around, seemed to start faster and it fit my cooking style (family of two). Later this year, when the sales hit, I plan on purchasing a small to go with the large for the times when I'm only cooking for one or two. My guess is that I will probably use the small more than the large simply because I will use it more for grilling small things like burgers and chicken. I really like the large when I'm cooking for a lot of people, but the medium is also very very nice.[p]Larry