Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Smoking ABTs (Atomic Buffalo Turd)

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am getting ready to smoke some Atomic Buffalo Turds. I plan to use the following recipe.[p]Atomic Buffalo Turds:
20-30 Large Jalapeno peppers (this will make 40-60 turds)
1 block cream cheese, room temperature
1 package thick sliced bacon
40-60 toothpicks
Small package of Little Smokies
(The amount of peppers determins the finished turds) [p]Take the peppers, cut the off the stems and split them into halves. Now rinse out any remaining seeds from the inside of the pepper with cold water and place them on a paper towel to dry. Remeber, when coring the peppers - the amount of membrane you leave inside the pepper will determine how hot the turds are. The more membrane you leave, the hotter the turd will be. Use a small spoon or mellon baller to remove
the membrane & seeds. [p]Any comments/suggestions as this is my first run.[p]Cheers.

[ul][li]Saucehog: Award Winning BBQ Sauces[/ul]

Comments

• SouthOfI10
    Options
    Will,
    Are you going to put a sausage in each half with bacon around each half or use the whole pepper for one ABT? If it is the former, you'll need more sausages and more cream cheese. I cut my bacon strip in half. And don't forget the Dizzy Pig...[p]DSC00405.jpg[p]DSC00425.jpg[p]What a wonderful snack...

• Sundown
    Sundown Posts: 2,980
    Options
    Will,[p]Might want to think about cooking the bacon till it's just beginning to crisp. That way you'll get crispier bacon on your wrap.
  • SouthOfI10,
    beautiful![p]here's a few tips will:
    wear gloves.
    wear eye protection.
    use real skewers instead of toothpicks.
    we leave the stem on for a handle once the skewer has been removed.

• SouthOfI10,
    I plan to cut the peppers in half, and also place a saucsage in each. I will probably do as you say andcut the bacon stripin half.[p]Are they as good as people say? Nice pics.[p]

• Sundown,
    Disagree with cooking the bacon first. Sorry, you'll leave a lot of flavor out that way. If you want crispy bacon, cook them at a higher temp. I start mine around 350 and let it run up to about 400. Adding a couple of the wood chunks at the start of the cook give smoke flavor and working up to high temp will crisp up the bacon. But that's just me. If we all did everything the same, this wouldn't be as much fun! ;-);-)

• locolonball,
    Thanks for the tip.
    How long do you cook at 350-400?[p]Will

• locolongball
    Options
    Will,[p]I had about the same amount you do in my last batch, and they took about 35-40mins. However, when that bacon starts to crisp up, keep an eye on them..checking about every 5-7mins. [p]enjoy!
  • locolongball,
    One last question. If you are cooking at the hogher temp, should you just do them on a grill vs. a BGE?[p]Will

• locolongball
    Options
    Will,[p]if you want them to taste like gas...knock yourself out.
  • Sigmore
    Sigmore Posts: 621
    Options
    Will, When that bacon grease and cheese land on the burners of a gasser, you will understand.
  • mollyshark
    mollyshark Posts: 1,519
    Options
    Rick's Tropical Delight,[p]You've mentioned a couple places to use real skewers. Why is that? I've occasionally had the very tip of a toothpick torch, but that's about it.[p]Mine are in the fridge right now. Gonna fire it up in a couple mins. Fortunately they are easy to keep warm in a warming drawer so I can do those a little early.[p]mShark
  • Nessmuk
    Nessmuk Posts: 251
    Options
    locolonball,
    I cook abts like I do everything else...225 to 250. [p]I have changed from a full stip of bacon to 1/2 strip.[p]I no longer use toothpicks due to the potential danger of injesting all or a part of one. My butcher supplies a metal skewer much like a paper clip. They are stainless steel so we reuse them.[p]When the bacon is cooked, I serve the abts.

• Nessmuk
    Nessmuk Posts: 251
    Options
    Rick's Tropical Delight,
    Agree with "real metal skewers", see my post.[p]When I posted about the danger of toothpicks, I had 2 replys about people who injested toothpicks. Their injuries were worse than death.[p]

• mollyshark,
    whelp... as in everything... there are toothpicks and then there are toothpicks. some toothpicks aren't strong enough to push into a wet noodle and they certainly aren't long enough for thrusting through a huge pepper on an angle.[p]plus i can see a regular, weak toothpick coming apart during the cooking process. imho, an abt deserves at least a real small skewer, even if it isn't stainless steel.[p](and the skewers make for a better photo)

• locolongball,
    After thinking about it, went with the BGE last night.[p]Everything turned out great. Now I am craving some more. Those things are like crack cocaine, very addictive.[p]Happy New Years.[p]Will