Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

pulled pork Q

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
OK so i have a new egg and i want to do a boston butt. I have read several threads and have a great idea on how to do it. the question i have is - I don't have a fancy way of checking the internal temp like some, just the old fashion meat thermometer - but it will take lifting the lid...is this bad? Obviously i don't have to worry about it for hours but at some point i will have to check the temp and as it nears the right temp i will need to check more often. Comments?

Comments

• thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    7c583015.jpg
    <p />topper9,[p]Your thermometer will work just fine. I don't even wire up a butt with my thermometer until they are way past the guesstimated halfway cooking time anyway. Lifting the lid to take a quick temp will not hurt, the Egg will recover fairly quickly. Just keep an eye on the pit thermometer, for your first few butts keep the pit temp between 250° and 285°.[p]As a butt nears pulling temps, you can judge doneness somewhat on how easy the thermometer or a fork enters. The bone is what I really watch. When it wiggles and starts to pull free and clean, you are there.[p]~thirdeye~[p]
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • thirdeye,[p]My next question would be where do you buy one of those nice thermometers that i can wire up? I will eventually want one!
  • Woody54
    Woody54 Posts: 148
    Options
    thirdeye,[p]you could always point the dial of the thermometer up toward the daisy wheel and "peak" down with a flashlight to read the temp rather than opening the lid and extending the cooking time.[p]The remote therms are great. U can get them at many hardware stores or kitchen shops. From $20 to $80 plus. The Maverick ET-73 (link below) measures both meat temp and doem temp and beams it wirelessly to a receiver within a 100 ft. or so. Also has low and high temp alarms so one can sleep better on an overnight cook.[p]There are a billion places on the web to get them, including Amazon.[p]Woody
    [ul][li]http://www.maverickhousewares.com/thermometers/remote_therm.htm[/ul]
  • Sundown
    Sundown Posts: 2,980
    Options
    thirdeye,
    Head over to your friendly Target they usually have the timex "Polder type" for a lot lass money than some of the others. Woody has it though. You'll be fine. HNY

• thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    fe5021dd.jpg
    <p />topper9,[p]Like the others have said, there are a lot of choices out there. I have several of the TruTemp ones at about $15 each. They look like the Taylor ones, maybe both are made by one or the other. Mine do have a magnet on the bottom, which is nice for both outdoor and indoor cooking.[p]~thirdeye~

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery