Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What Temp for the Slow Butt?

RhumAndJerk
RhumAndJerk Posts: 1,506
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have had it with this Boston butt!
It has been on for 27 hours and the internal is only at 174. I have had problems with the fire all day. I even reloaded the lump this afternoon. The dome temp has been all over place for 50 to 350 and lump has almost run out again. It does look good and smell good. We have had some strong winds today and I think that that has something to do with it.[p]I think that if it hits 180 it is coming off. Does that sound like a plan?[p]A very frustrated RhumAndJerk[p]

Comments

• JJ
    JJ Posts: 951
    RhumAndJerk,
    Stick a fork in it and give it a twist. If it spins easy it is done. If not, as much as this hurts, wrap the damn thing in foil to bring it up to temp.

• Cat
    Cat Posts: 556
    RhumAndJerk,[p]Did you try sticking a fork in it? If the fork twists easily, it's done.[p]I've cooked butts for 24 hours that never went over 165 internal, and pulled like a dream. [p]In my experience, every butt (and brisket) has its own timetable. I've had better results judging doneness by tenderness than by internal temp. [p]Just my opinion, but it works for me. [p]Cathy[p][p][p]
  • Cat
    Cat Posts: 556
    JJ,[p]Hiya, bro. Wanna try that one more time, in stereo? ;-}[p]Sis[p]
  • JJ
    Hey Sis,
    What a team.
    Love Bro.

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    RhumAndJerk, Yup, winds is your problem..think wind baffles.
    I will join JJ and Cat and harmonize..Do the twist..:-)
    Its edible and you may have hit the peak and spiraled down hill. I have see that happen also and you wind up with a drier pulled pork..
    C~W[p]

• RhumAndJerk
    Thanks guys.
    Tonight is just not my night. Just after I posted, my ISP went south so I could not even check the responses.[p]I did pull the butt at 177. It pulled ok and was still very tasty. I ate my fill even if it was 11 PM and everyone else was sleeping. This was not my best effort. I will taste it again tomorrow when I am not so frustrated. [p]I also tried a new recipe for BBQ sauce that was Applesauce based. Again, I will taste it tomorrow.[p]I have been feasting on the Slaw all day. The apples are not brown and the toasted pecans really added a nice twist.[p]Thanks for help,
    A full RhumAndJerk[p]

• Char-Woody
    RhumAndJerk, Don't ya just love these toys? It will taste as good warmed up..Add some sauce. Gloat over a close success...add a Guiness,
    Watching Neanderthal on Discovery tonight and hey..they got it made..Fresh rabbit, deer, fire..and plenty of wood.
    :-)
    C~W
    Fleas too I betcha...heeeeeyaaaaaaa.

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    RhumAndJerk,[p]Lots of replies, this may be one of them- but - make sure the dome thermometer isn't touching the meat. It will give erratic results like that.[p]Tim
  • MickeyT
    MickeyT Posts: 607
    RhumAndJerk,[p]I'm not sure what size egg you have but I just did an overnight cook on my medium with a 6.5 lbs. butt (bone in).[p]I live in the Chicago area and the temps that night were in the teens with kick ass winds.[p]This is how I started my fire:[p]Cleaned the egg out completely with my shop vac.
    Loaded with new lump right up to the top of the fire ring.
    Filled my chimney with lump and lit.
    When ALL the lump was a bright orange and lit completely, I dumped it in the egg.
    Put my grate on top of the burning lump. (the grate wasn't touching the fire ring).
    Put the 2 fire bricks down.
    Put the butt in a v rack.
    Set the v rack in the pan.
    Put it all in the egg.[p]Stabilized the temp @ 200 and went to bed.
    15 hours later we were @ 200[p]Still had 1/2 the lump left.[p]Don't know if this helps, but it works for me every time. Weather or winds have never been an issue.[p]I also use a split (as you may know to control the temp). Can't beat it.[p]Next time will be better.[p]Mick

• Bordello
    Bordello Posts: 5,926
    MickeyT.,
    I'm still learning so it would help me if you
    could please explain the part of filling the "chimney" with lump? Also, how long before they were all burning correctly. Thanks.
    New Bob

• Sippi
    Sippi Posts: 83
    New Bob,The chimney which Mickey T is referring to is a charcoal starter which can be purchased at WalMart, Home Depot or other similar stores. It is an efficient and easy way to start charcoal.

• Bordello
    Sippi,
    Thanks, I'm using starter blocks. Where is the chimney placed??? (I don't know what it looks like so hard to picture it in my feeble mind) Is it under the coals, on top or??????
    New Bob

• JJ
    New Bob,
    It is a can that is seperate from the EGG. Think of a coffee can filled with charcoal and a little fire chamber under it.
    Place some paper in the chamber it will start the charcoal then when hot pour the charcoal in the EGG.

• Bordello
    Thanks JJ,
    Now I have a mental picuter, helps a whole bunch.
    New Bob

• Char-Woody
    JJ, :-) I have a chimney and a electric fire starter I will sell cheap...make offers.
    C~W

• RhumAndJerk
    MickeyT.,
    I have a small BGE. The parameters for lump and fire are less forgiving. [p]In order for me to get a long burn out of my small, I have to set a only lit fire starter on top of the lump to get a small handful of lump burning. When I put the Pork and smoking wood on, the dome temp drops to 100. I leave the daisy wheel closed and the bottom vent open all of the way. It normally takes about three hours to get the dome temp back to 220. During that time, wonderful smelling smoke pours onto the meat. I then adjust the bottom and top vent for the long haul.[p]Like C~W said, every butt is different. [p]Chi-town is known as the Windy City, but Cleveland has got be a close second. I did not know what was going on, so I blamed the wind. It may or may not have been the reason; it was just easy way to explain my shortcomings.

Thanks for the input,
    RhumAndJerk