Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

One of the best dinners yet.

Options
Nature Boy
Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I picked up a gorgeous thick fresh filet of Red Snapper yesterday. Applied a light coat of prudhommes seafood magic, and a slightly heavier coat of my rib rub (which has lots of ginger and corriander). Then I spread on a coat of Appledogs Disappearing Mustard. Drizzled some soy sauce and a tad of sesame oil, and misted with peaunut oil. Let rest for about an hour.[p]I had some time, so I filled the firebox of the large egg 1/3 full, and got a steady 600 degree fire going. All of the coals were glowing bright orange. ALL. Then I dampered the bottom down to 1/2 inch (with the daisy off...no top). Soon the temp had equalzed at 425 (maybe 15 minutes), and the coals were pulsing orange, with very little smoke, and absolutely no flames. [p]I laid the filet directly on the grate, skin down, and at the same time laid on slices of pineapple from MikeO's killer grilled pineapple recipe. The flames rolled from the butter on the pineapple, and the oil on the fish. Closed the lid quickly, and timed 4 minutes first side. Flipped carefully with my extra wide fish spatula, and filpped the pinnapple. The skin on th fish mostly peeled off as I flipped the fish...but it was a relatively clean flip. Side2 went for 5 minutes. [p]I removed the fish, and flipped onto a platter. The flesh side of the filet was a perfect brown color, and the pineapple was also golden brown. The pineapple and the fish was arranged on the same platter. On the side, I served white rice, and a yellow zucchini/mushroom/sweet onion stirfry. This was one of my favorite meals of alltime....and healthy. [p]Go Terps.
NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ

Comments

• Painter
    Painter Posts: 464
    Options
    Nature Boy, Way to go, experimenting with different ingredients is the future cookbook for the rest of us, seafood is a good option for us all being it's healthier (supposibly) than all the other flesh we consume and a great change of pace. Sounds like you pulled this recipe off on your own and is a wonderful feeling when your tastebuds are at the receiving end. great egg results again.
    Painter

• Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    Options
    Nature Boy, You probably don't beleive me but I had the Terps in the final four. Anybody that plays Duke that close 3 games has some game. You're Red Snapper sounds great. Have you ever tried a fish grid? I've got one but think that the air getting in the EGG because of the handle would have a severe impact on the temps.[p]CWM
  • Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Car Wash Mike,
    I have not tried the fish basket, as I haven't needed it. As long as you put plenty of oil on the first side, and flip only once (gently), you should be able to cook right on the grate. Works for me anyways.[p]The terps look good. I graduated from UM the year before Lenny Bias died, and Lefty left.[p]Cheers
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Nature Boy,[p]Keep those fish recipes coming, love 'em -- thanks very much! km