Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Confused about butt cook

Options
Tony
Tony Posts: 224
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
It's been a little over one year since I've had my BGE. I'm sure lots of you have noticed that I make posts from time to time with questions and responses.
You would think that since I've been around now for over a year that I wouldn't have to ask this question :)[p]First of all, beleive it or not I have not done a pulled pork or Boston Butt on the egg yet and I cook 3-5 times a week on my egg.[p]So I figured it's about time I try it. From time to time I have seen and read post about how and how long to slow cook a butt. But for the most part I kind of over look post that don't pretain to what I plan on cooking. Until now![p]Now I'm confused. I checked the recipe/pork section and I see that Ben's Pulled Pork 5-7 lbs @225 takes 6 hours to cook and that Brant's Butt 6 lbs @ same temp takes 20 hours. How can this be?[p]Anyway, I'm soon going to head to the grocery and buy a butt to cook for New Years Day. I'm ready to try any method from 20 hours or a shorter cook.[p]I've had nothing but great sucsess so far on all of my BGE cooks so I know I can handle what ever I need to do.[p]Your suggestions for a "New Years butt cooking" is greatly appreciated.[p]Thanks!

Comments

• Rick G
    Rick G Posts: 185
    Options
    Tiger Tony,[p]Cooking a butt is a no brainer. Just set up your cooker for indirect cooking, get your fire box FULL. I mean half way up the fire ring wont be too full. Get your grid temp settled around 250 and cook untill internal temp reaches 195-200. You never know how long they will take. Figure around 2 hours per pound but dont count on that to be true. Could go longer...could finish sooner. Every butt is different.[p]P.S. Dont forget to rub your butt
  • MasterMason
    Options
    Tiger Tony,[p]tony,[p]go the the link, read both parts of Elder Wards recipe, and follow it to a tee. It will come out great, and from there you can experiment to make it your own. If you ever want to....

[ul][li]Elder Wards[/ul]
  • Tony
    Tony Posts: 224
    Options
    Rick G,[p]OK, That's all I need to know.[p]I'm getting off my butt and going to buy one right now.[p]Thanks!

• MCG DAWG
    Options
    Tiger Tony,[p]Just put 3 8-9 pounders on myself. I figure usually 2-2.5 per pound per previous cooks. The ramp feature on my Guru may play a role as it lowers the temp of the egg as your butt approaches it's finishing temp so as to avoid overcooking. [p]Also, don't forget the plateu phase. Your butt will stay at a constant temp around 160 or so for several hours. It's at this temp all the energy from the heat is utilized to break down all the tough connective tissue. Once it's broken down then the temp will start to rise again.

• Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    Options
    Tiger Tony, each butt has its own time to cook but they surely don't range that much. I figure 2 hours/pound at 225-240 degrees to get my internal temperature to 205. Sometimes it seems to go a bit quicker but rarely less than 1:45 per pound and sometimes a little longer but never over 2:30 per pound. A big factor is at what temperature you pull it off the grill. While I like 205, sometimes I will take it off at 200 if it seems to be done. I have taken one off at 185 but it could not be pulled. I sliced it and it was very good but it was not "pulled" pork. Some folks will take it off at 185 and slice and then chop it so that the end result resembles pulled pork but it is chopped pork and does not taste the same as pulled pork.[p]As someone else said, stick to the Elder Ward description and you will not go wrong.

• http://www.nakedwhiz.com/pullpork.htm[p]
    We followed this to a tee for Thanksgiving and Christmas... was the best pulled pork we'd ever had and my family RAVED on it.[p]Didn't have enough leftovers at TG (did an 8 lb'er) so at Christmas I had our butcher tie two 5 lb'ers together. Used Dizzy Dust both times. Totally AWESOME! [p]It is about 2 hrs/per lb of meat.