Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Prime Rib

Options
Larry McSass
Larry McSass Posts: 56
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have two 4+lb prime ribs I want to cook for New Year's. Any suggestions for prep and does anyone know cook times per pound? What temp should I pull it? Thanks for any help!

Comments

• onelegchef
    Options
    Larry McSass,
    go to nakedwhiz.com he has a great recipe. time, temp, etc, a great site!
    Bobby FTW,Tx

• River Griller
    Options
    Larry McSass,
    I EVOO mine, season with Kosher salt, Crazy Jane's pepper mix, and garlic. Crank up the egg to sear all sides about a minute each side, then close the vents and cook for internal temp of 130. Usually 45-60 minutes for a 4 lb prime rib.

• The Naked Whiz
    Options
    mmprimage5.jpg
    <p />Larry McSass,
    Here's a link to mad max's way:[p]TNW

[ul][li]mad max Prime Rib[/ul]
    The Naked Whiz
  • Larry McSass,[p]I did a prime rib last night for the first time and it was the best I have ever had, tasty and really tender.[p]This was a boneless, in which I tied to be round instead of flat when viewed from the end. I used DP Cowlick all over with kosher salt and coarse ground black pepper and cooked at 500 degress for 30 minutes and lowered temp to about 375 without removing the roast. Entire cook was done on a L BGE with inverted platesetter drip pan and meat on grid. I used a polder to monitor temp. I pulled it at 115 degrees which sounds really rare but my logic was (only two of us eating) the ends will be more done than the center. If the center is too rare we will eat the ends and reheat the center two slices for another meal increasing their doneness. When I pulled the roast it was a gorgeous brown with no black. I rested it for about 10 minutes under foil. [p]Turned out that I should have pulled it about 5 degrees sooner for rare in the center. But it was still awsome. Even the ends which were more done were really tender.[p]Good luck, from a newbie.[p]Gordy in Arizona, still thinking about the rib roast from last night.