Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Just Loaded a 17 Lb Fresh HAm

Sundown
Sundown Posts: 2,980
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
into mr Egg. Lots of pushing and shoving to get the ham in...it's BIG!
Glaze made of honey, brown sugar, mustard, and cawfee chrystals. I think I have a 7 or an 8 hour cook...I think.
This should be fun! The neighbors have come over to see what I'm doing. The smell of the hickory smoke draws'um like flies. Lots of offers to taste test Brother Pig when he's done.
Kickin' back to watch Eggie when I'm done my chores.
SPRING IS HERE!

Comments

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Sundown, gimmie some measurements on the size of that ham...I gotta do some kemikally injuneered figgerin...:-)
    C~W
    Length, circumferance, diameter, etc.

• Sundown
    Char-Woody,[p]Mr. Ham measures about 17" long I estimate 7" in height and about 10" across hard to get a circumfrence number as he's nesteled in the v-rack. Wife #1 thinks I'm nuts and she's pretty sure the rest of the Cult is just off half a bubble too. I'm doing him indirect not sure why just seemed like a good idea.
    Thinking from all of the info available Mr. HAm is going to be in the Egg for quite a while...35 to 45 min per pound tem steady on 350º[p]Hope that helps[p]Carey

• Orio Kid
    Orio Kid Posts: 87
    Sundown,
    Your wifes maiden name wouldn't happen to be White would it?
    That is my wifes maiden name, and she thinks the same way.
    Just Wonderin'
    Jake

• Char-Woody
    Sundown, Thanks..I am trying to figure a way to do that puppy more easily and I think you gave me the right stuff..
    Is this ham a unseasoned, uninjected, fresh piece of meat?
    Or a already smoked and precooked version??
    C~W[p]

• Sundown
    Char-Woody,
    Fresh ham no brine and I didn't inject
    Seasoning consists of the glaze and cloves thats pretty much it.
    Glaze will go on in several applications
    Methinks I'm going to have a long cook[p]Carey

• Sundown
    Orio Kid,
    Naw, she's not a White but, just in case you weren't aware, their tribe are all genetically related! She loves the food MR. Egg produces but she keeps going back to that cult thing.
    Each morning I listen to what my Rice Krispies tell me to do and before I leave for the office I fondle Mr. Egg... so? Doesn't everyone in the forum do the same thing? ;>)[p]Carey

• Char-Woody
    Sundown, Me thinks so too...17 lbs x (?) gonna be about 5 to 6 hours..gestulating at 350F...![p]Here is what I might do on a similar cook for the mechanics.[p](A) Find the small end bone and use a ordinary drill and make a hole in the bone.
    (B) Locate a Stainless Steel eye or hook bolt of appropriate shank size and screw it into the hole drilled.
    (C) Locate some small link chain that will slip over the hook or attach to the eye bolt. Use about 6 inches of chain.
    (D) Cut another length of chain about a foot long.
    (E) Using a adaptor..lower the grill using a smaller diameter cheap welded iron grill and set it down into the fire ring chamber area lowering the fire barrier and drip pan as far as possible, yet not choking off the fire area.
    (F) Make a small flat steel plate sized to fit no larger than the width of your dome top opening. Lay it flat across the dome top. Make a hole in this to accomodate the 12" chain. Insert a pin to hold the chain in place in the hole.
    Make one opened link to connect the two chains later on.
    (G) Set ham thick butt end into the drip pan. Attach chain to eyebolt. slip the extra chain thru the dome opening..attach with the opened link..Close dome...lift the entire ham off the drip pan and suspend it under the dome. Slipping the pin back into the chain over the dome plate. And you can now set your metal Daisy/slider back on and you have a swinging ham suspension system.
    You could do a gargantuan humongous turkey this way too ...I betcha it could be done....I am gonna do it.
    (Reverse the suspension process when finished to remove the ham.)
    I wore myself out...Nap time...:-)
    C~W
    BTW..if you can find SSteel wire..just drill a hole thru the bone horizontally and put a wire hanger on it..Even copper will work for a wire. No eyebolt would be necessary.
    Turkey is a different set up. It would need a long rod with a bell end on it. A deep fat cajun cooker hook would work for the turkey.
    Wow...this is too much...chowser...C~W[p]

• Sundown
    Char-Woody,[p]O-h m-y g-o-s-h!
    C~W ol'son...you have far too much time on your hands! Read it twice and then printed it out. If a Cult member makes a suggestion I am obliged to act on it...now, I think I have too much time on my hands. Coot is on his way over and I'll show it to him he likes that kind of stuff.[p]NAps are GOOD things.[p]Carey

• Char-Woody
    Sundown, good deal..hammer on it and if you can change, improve, make better..go for it! Takes fertilizer to make the grass (ideas) grow.
    C~W

• 3 Balut's
    3 Balut's Posts: 13
    Sundown,we must be thinking alike. Put on a ham using Dr. Chickens recipe at around 0930 this morning. Took it out of the egg at 1430. Just finished carving it up and company (wifes church group) is arriving. Sampled as a carved and my daughter has been hitting me up for more about every 2 minutes. If it passes her test it must be good. She is my toughest critic.
    Need to go deep shelter and get ready for the ball games. Hope your cook goes well.[p]VaNole