Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Chicken Quarters direct or indirect....that is the question

Redneck
Redneck Posts: 20
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
After bragging on the BGE at work over the week, I have some coworkers coming over to see the Magic first hand.[p]Because I do not won't to make a mistake....should I go direct or indirect with chicken. I am planning to use my secret sauce...a oil based solution...will share if all goes well.[p]Also at what temps should each be use???[p]Thanks Eggsperts,[p]Redneck

Comments

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Redneck, My favorite is a second grill over my drip pans. I use the second upper grill for the bird parts. I run about 350 to 400F...Check em for temp after about a hour.
    C~W

• Painter
    Painter Posts: 464
    Redneck, I'd do them like wings turning every fifteen minutes or so at 250 degree dome temp direct. If yoy have a sugar base sauce I would't baste them with that until last 15 or 20 minutes orm so. I'd guess time at aproximately 1 hr. but you'll be able to tell because you're not a novice at this I bet. Ifnot sure Use instant read thermometer to be sure. 170-180 degree. Good eatin
    Painter

• Painter
    Painter Posts: 464
    Char-Woody, Ther doesn't seem to be a wrong way for chicken parts, as always its whatever works for you as long as its cooked to proper temp.) Chilly (darn cold in Wisconsin today) 0 wind chills. Fillet mignon tonite and Pizza tommorow. Good eats to ya
    Painter

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Painter, your right..at my house, its not how its done, but who gets what and gets there first..:-)
    Cheers to ya..good eats too! Turn the fans off up there in Wisc..your blowing it down here..windy cold here too.
    C~W

• JimW
    JimW Posts: 450
    Redneck,
    With leg quarters, I run about 275F direct. It takes about 1 1/2 hours to 1 3/4 hours depending on size. I turn them every 30 minutes for the first hour. With about 30 minutes left, I start saucing them with a ketchup based sauce, turning and saucing about every 8 minutes. They've always come out perfectly done with a nice barbecue crust on them.
    JimW