Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Likely way too early...

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Well, I have a brisket on, and it looks like its going to be done way too early, earlier than would be safe to keep it in a cooler. Any ideas?

Comments

• Lucky Duck
    Options
    FV-Egger,
    I was a sceptic awhile back and I needed to do what you need to do. The brisket was foiled, I wrapped it in some towels and a small furniture blanket and put it in a cooler. 4 hrs later it was as hot as it went in. A slight exaggeration there,,, But still too hot to handle.
    I just trusted the egg forum wisdom and it worked for me.[p]Phil, D' Lucky Duck

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    FV-Egger,
    if you can, drop dome temp back to 200 or so, unless you are too far along. that'll sometimes slow things down. the meat temp will continue to climb for a while though, as if it has inertia. but it's a shot

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • stike,[p]I'll give that a try, thanks.[p]I was darn determined not to have this one run long like my last one, guess I got my wish and then some. ;)[p]
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    FV-Egger,
    i've found with pork butt that the meat ignores you for a while... it doesn't care if you drop temps back, it keeps cruising up. bit of a lag. so if you are within 10 degrees of your 'done' temp, this may not help. if you are halfway through the cook though, it might help. be careful though, once the meat DOES start to slow down, it will still drag along once you reopen the vents and bump temp. takes a while for dome temp changes to translate to meat (internal) temp changes.[p]whew. lot of blather, but just tryna explain what i've seen.[p]that, together with up to four hours in foil in a cooler, and you might time it well enough.

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • stike,[p]Thanks for the info, I'm still learning, and of course, after reading all the sites around, experience is the best way to learn. :)