Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Wiggle rod

Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Today I did some burgers for my second cook on my egg. Used leftover lump from a chicken cook. Had trouble getting temp above about 280 then I remembered the wiggle rod trick, by the time I got several of the holes cleaned and looked back the egg was trucking past 350. After this I got to wondering when I put the BGE together I remember the charcoal grate holes kind of being funnel shaped, I put the funnel part pointing down, I thought if I put the bigger holes on the top it would be more likely to plug up. Did I put this piece in right? Burgers were very good, used Raising the Steaks. Just had 2 of them for supper and feel like I'm gonna pop, like Lays potatoe chips you can't eat just one.

Comments

• Mayberry Smoker,
    I think you're right, you can check by looking at the sides of the grate, not the holes; it's beveled to fit snugly into the firebox.
    best, HS

• Haggis
    Haggis Posts: 998
    Mayberry Smoker,[p]The narrow portion of the grate should be at the top.[p]I've found that stirring the old lump prior to lighting it a second/third/fourth time will let the ash fall into the lower level and it can be cleaned out through the vent when necessary. It usually takes me several weeks of many cooks before I have to clean it . . .
  • I have found that the holes in the fire box also are prone to clogging. I have made a simple tool for cleaning out the vent holes out of a peice of 3/16" metal rod.

I found three of the five clogged after my 6.5 hour turkey which I cooked for Christmas.