Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

another jerky question

Options
KennyG
KennyG Posts: 949
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
After some recent forum discussion, I dediced to try my hand at jerky for the first time. I'll be using GFW's River City recipe with some slight modifications. Question for the Jerky pros among you - What's the yield on a batch? I started out with a 3.75 lb brisket flat with almost all fat removed. How much meat can I expect in the finished product?[p]Thanx in advance folks[p]K~G

Comments

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Options
    KennyG, I just did 6.5 lbs of sirloin roast sliced 1/4 inch and I would guess about 4 lbs total bagged.. I was going to weigh it but my daughter took half home with her..sigh.
    Good stuff..enjoy..BTW..I used the "smokeshop" basket this time and tossed and stirred. About 3.5 to 4 hours..Your jerky need not be stiff..best to sample and taste as you go to find the right jerky dryness and tenderness.
    Good luck..
    C~W[p]

• YB
    YB Posts: 3,861
    Options
    Char-Woody,
    A friend of mine that sells replacement parts,knees,elbows,hips etc.gave me a basket last week.This basket is made like the smokeshop 1/4" mesh except it is 16"x10"x4" and is made out of stainless steel and has 4 little feet,it is used to sterilize surgery tools,more toys.
    Larry

• Mop
    Mop Posts: 496
    Options
    KennyG, you might end up with 2 pounds if your lucky.
    It`s worth it though..
    Your gonna love it....[p]Mop!

• Char-Woody
    Options
    YB, bless you my brother for that info.. I have a friend in Micro Surgery in Bimidji, Minn. I will be hitting on him. The SSteel is a winner. Mine is nickle plated.. You have unique friends...:-)
    Cheers to ya...C~W

• MickeyT
    MickeyT Posts: 607
    Options
    View?u=474327&a=10378379&p=44628976&Sequence=0&res=high
    <p />KennyG,[p]You can get about 75 pcs if you cut it right. I've done that size about 15 times so far this year.[p]I think I have over 150 pcs on right now. Brisket and something new, a sirloin tip roast.[p]Nice to see your posts Kenny.[p]Mick

• KennyG
    KennyG Posts: 949
    Options
    Char-Woody,[p]Whoops, a little quick on the trigger. With a few more hours of marinading to go, I'm trying to decide what to use as a cooking platform. I have one of those "grill woks" just about big enough for this small load. Also, a Weber 18.5 cooking grid that I could lay on top of the BGE grid at a perpendicular to avoid drop through. Whaddya think.[p]K~G

• Char-Woody
    Options
    KennyG, my personal opinion is for the drying process you need as much air movement thru the meat as possible. I did about half the 6.5 lbs each time..and maybe should have reduced that to 2 lb cooks.
    The basket I use is made by Brinkman and is wire mesh about 17 inches wide. Opening and closing the dome quickly during the cook to allow heavy moisuture laden air out is a good move..Your trying to dry the meat and remove moisture..the opposite of what the BGE is designed to do. If one can leave the top caps off entirely thru the drying it would help also..I haven't done that yet. Stirring and mixing the meat quite often is needed if your heaping and stirring.
    Indians used to dry it hanging on sticks in open air.
    Cure (marinate) the meat 2 3 days or longer.
    Cheers..C~W

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    MickeyT.,[p]A picture does say a thousand word - or more! Great. Is that brisket? How long do you leave it like that and at what temp?[p]Tim
  • MickeyT
    MickeyT Posts: 607
    Options
    Tim M,[p]Sorry it took so long to answer you. That cook I did for 7 hours @ 140-160. I let the heat get up to 300 as I was pulling the done pcs off. Kinda gives it that nice outside I like so much.[p]
    Mick