Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How do you grill fish?

Options
Flashback Bob
Flashback Bob Posts: 519
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I got a BGE fish grill, am all set to go grill up some fish and realized I don't know where to start.[p]Temps? Time? Direct/indirect with a drip pan?[p]I assumed direct at 450-500 or so till the fish was done which would only be a few minutes per side, depending on the thickness.

Comments

• Flashback Bob,
    I won't be here to get your answer, but it would help the forum if you would post what kind of fish you want to cook.

• Lucky Duck
    Options
    Flashback Bob,For a "grillable fish, 350* dome. The rule of thumb is 10 mins. per inch. It will flake easily. Also, Oil the grill anf the fish, and use tongs to turn it. Wait 'til it loosens itself from the grill, then turn it. If you use a spatule and turn it too soon it will tear it up and make a mess. [p]Sole and the like must be done in foil or a pan as their too delicate. Hope this helps![p]Phil, the fish-eating Duck
  • Flashback Bob
    Options
    Lucky Duck,
    Yep, this helps!
    Is that 10 minutes per side per inch of thickness, or 10 minutes total per inch?
    I'm thinking of Swordfish, Salmon or Tuna.[p]At 350, that means I can cook some more bread!

• Flashback Bob,
    ten minutes total per inch fish thickness for grilling. turning is optional.[p]do more bread! try it with just a little s&p on top.[p]i most always do some sort of bread after, while the main course is resting. crank er up to 400 and bake

• Flashback Bob,
    That will work fine for all three, but the Swordfish and Tuna will benefit from a hig temp sear followed by a lower temp cook. I like a 1.5 inch steak seared 60 to 90 seconds a side followed by about 15 minutes at 225* indirect for the tuna and 20 minutes for the swordfish.

• BigT
    BigT Posts: 385
    Options
    Michael B,
    After 60-90 seconds a side sear on tuna, the next heat it should see is 98.6 ;)[p]Big T