Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

large or medium, capacity

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
As posted in another thread, I am considering purchasing a BGE. I am leaning towards the large size, but I want to be able to go mobile at times.[p]How much capacicity difference is there in the two sizes. I know that the grill racks are a little of 3" different in size, but there is also a difference in the size of the dome.[p]I'd appreciate examples as to how much product you can get into each size.

Comments

• Wardster
    Wardster Posts: 1,006
    Options
    Lee,
    I'm not sure, but I do know that if you buy a medium there will be times that you wish you would have more cooking room. I'd go for the large. Chances are you will want another one and I then suggest a small. I travel with my eggs a lot. I take the small mostly, but take the large quite a bit too.

Apollo Beach, FL
  • Sandbagger
    Options
    table.jpg
    <p />Lee, Here is a picture of the large and medium in my table. If you are only going mobile a couple times a year, get the large. The hassle factor dealing with the large egg when mobile is nothing to the bee..at...chin you'll do each time you'll fire up the medium, wishing for the large. Not that I'm speaking from experience or anything....LOL Tom

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    Sandbagger,
    Your table looks great...
    Give me a call at the office if you get a chance.
    1-713-563-3387. Still here.
    Darian

Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • EggRacer
    EggRacer Posts: 400
    Options
    Lee,[p]I would say get the large. If you want to go mobile get a small or mini as well. What's a little more money when you get the egg fever? :-)
    XLBGE & LBGE
    North Richland Hills, TX
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    Lee,[p]I bought a medium last May, in part because the local dealer had one on the floor, and was ready to deal on it. I love it, but I wish I had ordered a large. I plan to get a large in the spring. Most of the time, I expect it will be just for the ease of use. I can cook enough for 9 people at once on the medium, but handling the food in the area available is kind of a pain. A few extra inches will make most cooks so much easier. And, with a large, I'd expect to be able to do ribs for 12 or more at once.[p]gdenby[p]

• Woody54
    Woody54 Posts: 148
    Options
    Lee,[p]The large will handle 40 lbs of butt - tight, but it fits
  • mikeb6109
    mikeb6109 Posts: 2,067
    Options
    Sandbagger,
    hey sandbagger still curious on how the rotissery (as we can see it clearly on the medium) working out? hope you will post some pics of howw the hell ya managed that one! but sure looks nice!!
    mike