Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Egg Purchase

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Alright, I am finally convinced from reading all of these posts that the Egg is the way to go, large. Is there an advantage to purchasing it from a local dealer vs. mail order? I noticed that Hearthside Distributers has the large egg for $649 and free shipping. Major investment so I don't want to make any mistakes. Any advice? Thank you.

Comments

• Sailor61
    Options
    Before you mail order an Egg be sure to review the company's policy regarding warranty coverage from mail order vendors. I got my large (in RI)with nest and mate for 699. had considered the mail order route until I read about their policy regarding warranty coverage.[p]Good luck -

• Haggis
    Haggis Posts: 998
    Options
    Barry Pitts,[p]Hearthside has a good reputation. As sailor61 notes, some mail order purchases may not be covered by the BGE warranty - I don't know whether that applies to Hearthside so you might want to call BGE in Atlanta and ask if Hearthside is a legitimate approved dealer.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,767
    Options
    Barry Pitts,
    call bge and ask if hearthside is an authorized dealer. i ordered my eggs before they had a written policy reguarding mail order eggs and it isnt clear what is meant by "authorized" dealer in this respect. bge is supplying heartside with eggs as they do sell a lot of them, i had great sevice getting my eggs delivered from hearthside, ive bought four eggs from them so far

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Sailor61
    Options
    when I mentioned the mail order option to a current egger, and said something about contacting Atlanta regarding warranty coverage, it was strongly urged that I do it by email. ended up getting what I thought was a good deal from the local guy so I never emailed them about teh vendor I was looking at - which may have been Hearthside.
  • Haggis
    Haggis Posts: 998
    Options
    sailor61,[p]Yeah, ain't competition great! [p]
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    Barry Pitts,
    I just went to thier site and they are selling Primo cookers, not BGE. So I think I know what BGE is going to tell you regarding warranty. -RP

• AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    AZRP,
    Sorry, I'm wrong, didn't scroll down thier page far enough. -RP

• Barry Pitts,[p]I'd buy local even if "local" meant I had to drive 100 miles. Just my opinion.
  • River Griller
    Options
    Barry Pitts,
    I paid a little more to get mine local because they had free delivery and set up. My brother got his mail order and had no problems though.

• Wardster
    Wardster Posts: 1,006
    Options
    Barry,[p]Where do you live? The reason I ask it that it may behouve you to attend a local egg fest and get a sweet deal there. They tend to put out new eggs, let people cook on them all day, and sell them at a great, discounted, price.
    Plus, watching people cook all day, and being able to ask questions, will help to eliminate any learning curve you might have.
    Just a thought. I spent $200 more than if I had waited, but I can't complain....

Apollo Beach, FL
  • Woody54
    Woody54 Posts: 148
    Options
    Barry Pitts,[p]I gernally agree that local is the way to go, but not all local dealers are created equal. My dealer is unique - a furniture/appliance store owner whose hobby is outdoor cooking so he carries a couple gassers and the BGE in a bacl corner of the store. He lets his sales force sell the furniture, and he is happy to talk cooking all day. He is truly passionate about the BGE and his customer service reflects that. I had never heard of BGE until my wife drug me in his store and he sold me immediately.[p]Woody
  • EddieMac
    EddieMac Posts: 423
    Options
    When it comes to purchasing a BGE I've always been a big proponent of supporting the local dealer when at all possible...I would say that if it's a matter of $100 - $150...then I'd buy local....If not then look for your best deal wherever that may be....It's true...all local dealers are not created equally...My local guy...from Grill One in Jensen Beach (FL) has been nothing less than great to me....He's passionate about BGEs and knows them inside-out and has helped me out in different ways...And that's worth more than the $150 to me.....But that's just me....[p]Ed McLean
    Ft. Pierce, Fl