Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

considering a BGE, breakage concerns

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm considering getting a BGE. I like the idea that the material of the BGE won't rust. However, I'm concerned that it could be broken if it somehow got knocked over or something fell on it.[p]I really don't think this would be much of a concern if it was in a fixed location, but I generally keep my grill in my garage and move it outside when I want to use it. Plus, I'd like to be able to take it with me when I go to folk's place.[p]

Comments

• Sundown
    Sundown Posts: 2,980
    Options
    Lee,
    You are worrying unnecessarily. My Egg stays on one place and in almost eight years nothing has fallen on it and it's in as good condition as the day I brought it home.[p]If you want to take the Egg with you when you travel, I think most forum members would suggest a mini, small or medimum. The large weighs 140 pounds so you won't be dragging that around unless you're a weight lifter.[p]You could also thing about getting the large just to keep at home. They offer a table with wheels so you could keep it in the garage and roll it out when you cook.[p]The only thing you may have to replace is the firebox and then it's under warranty. Your dealer should have one or two in stock for just such reasons.

• Woody54
    Woody54 Posts: 148
    Options
    Lee,[p]In addition to Sundown's comments -
    the Large BGE works OK on the "nest" and is quite mobile on hard flat surfaces (always pull it, never push). It is not very mobile on grass unless you upgrade the casters to a larger size. No doubt that a table is the ultimate way to go. [p]www.nakedwhiz.com has a great photo gallery of tables.[p]Woody

• Sundown,[p]I missed out on a promo that would have given a free table with the purchase of the BGE. I could probably get my brother in law to build one for me.[p]I like the nest for space saving, but I also think that it is more likely to be tipped over on the nest than it would be on a table.[p]I don't know if the medium will be big enough for what I want to use it for.

• Wardster
    Wardster Posts: 1,006
    Options
    Lee,
    My large is in a nest and it's very, very stable. I have a table for my small and will eventually build a table for my large too. I will build it so my large can roll into and out of it.
    Anywho,
    Don't worry about it breaking. I've been here for 7 years and have only read a couple of "humpty dumpty" stories. I would say all of them were user error.

Apollo Beach, FL
  • Steve13
    Options
    Lee,
    I had a large in a table.The table got old, rotten and sketchy looking so I bought a nest and the eggmates .Couldn't be happier!
    Steve

• The Naked Whiz
    Options
    Lee,
    If you do put it in a nest, remember, always pull it, never never push it. If a wheel catches a pebble or stick, it will go over. Always pull and you'll be ok.[p]TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    Lee,[p]If you are worried about this:[p]before.jpg[p]Chit does happens, but chit can be fixed:[p]after.jpg[p]This was User Error. I tried to move it off a moving truck by myself and slipped on the ramp. Arnold maybe able to hold you two hundred pounds in the grips of gravity, but the wolf can not. Humpty has since been moved on and off the porch several times without incident.
  • Celtic Wolf,
    That HAD to hurt!
    If I did that to mine, it would be 20 minutes before I took my next breath.

• Lee,
    There has been one or two people who had the shell crack in use, but that is rare and a warenty item. Take care of it, don't drop it, and give it away in your Will.

• gman
    gman Posts: 106
    Options
    That brings a tear to my eye.
  • Celtic Wolf
    Options
    Michael B,[p] I sat on the porch for an hour cursin' out everything I could think of and then I cried for another 30 minutes.
  • Celtic Wolf,
    I don't doubt it a bit. I'm surprised you didn't say you broke your foot. Somewhere I'd have kicked something that I'd have regretted.
    So how do you move it? I played with one up north; those things are HEAVY.

• Celtic Wolf
    Options
    Michael B,[p] I have steel toed shoes.. Well there harden Kevlar. Keeps me from shooting myself in the foot :)[p] Humpty gets moved with help or Humpty doesn't get moved. I can manage my lifting my large eggs into my Jeep. One they aren't on the porch and they don't weigh 200 pounds. The XL is just too much for me to carry off the porch with out someone helping.