Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What is the best temp. for beef brisket to be juicy & tender?

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Anyone have a internal temp. that they reccommend?
Thanks,
Dale

Comments

• onelegchef
    Options
    Dale,
    Should be between 185-195.
    Bobby FTW,TX

• onelegchef,
    Thanks onelegchef!
    ive been cooking brisket by hrs.per pound method,
    i wanna try it by temp. now.
    Dale

• Rich G
    Rich G Posts: 103
    Options
    dale,[p]Brisket is finicky. This is one that has to be cooked by feel. That's the reason that onelegchef's temp range is a bit wide. Start checking for doneness when the brisket hits 185 internal. When you can slide a probe thermometer through the flat like it's going through butter, it's done. Depending on the brisket, that's usually between 185 and 195 for me, too.[p]What temp are you cooking it at? My best results have been in the 225-235 range measured in the dome.[p].....oh, and it's always better when it has a chance to rest wrapped in foil and towels in a cooler for a couple hours after it's off the grill.[p]Good luck![p]Rich
  • StumpBaby
    Options
    onelegchef,[p]
    I go ruffly by temp..but when it kreeps upwords of 185ish..i start stickin a fork in the thickest part and seein ifn i can twist the fork eesy...once i can twist the fork eesy...that puppie is done.[p]Stump "its mine an i'll wash it as fast as i want to" Baby

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Howdy Dale!
    You'll love a brisket. It is a tough cook, but can be a really special meal. Internal temps are a good guideline, but the bottom line is that your brisket will tell you when its done. As onelegchef mentioned, 185-195 is a good range to start checking for tenderness. Regarding your post below, hours per pound rules are not really helpful for briskets. There is a curve. A 5 pounder might very well take 10 or 11 hours, and a 15 pounder around 16 or 18 hours.[p]Just a cupla idears. Hope it helps.
    Happy New Year.
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,766
    Options
    Dale,
    the advice below is good in that its best to check for tenderness and that temp is used as a guide to start checking. i watch grid temps very closely with brisket and like the grid temp to be 235 at the brisket level. i always cook a pork butt above the brisket on a raised grill. fat down on the brisket so the top sucks in some of the drippings from the butt.

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Nature Boy
    Options
    fishlessman,
    You said "fat down on the brisket so the top sucks in some of the drippings from the butt."[p]Your briskets suck?? Sorry, could not hold that one back. [p]Hope you had a great holiday, and wishing you a fishfull new year!
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • AZ Traveler
    Options
    StumpBaby,[p]Right own Stumpbaby. Youse is korrect agin. You need to make more apparances on the forum. AZ
  • So exactly what is a good time to keep them on - or atleast start to check on it for its tenderness?
  • Nature Boy,[p]What is the best method you found to check for doneness?[p]As long as we are talking brisket can you offer any DP combinations that worked well for ya? I know you can't give any you are using presently for competitions but any you used in the past you can divulge that you no longer work with?[p]Hope ya have a great New Year Chris,
    Howard

• Nature Boy
    Options
    Howdy Howard!
    The best way to check doneness? I'm still learning every day, but the best way I have found is poking the meat. It doesn't really matter what you poke it with. The easiest way is to take your temp probe that is already in there and shove it in a little more....then pull back on it. If it's grabbin back on you it needs more cookin. A tootpick will work just as well.[p]About the rubs, we have been using the same rub since the beginning, and you're right....I can't say it here. But you have a few choices. First ones that come to mind are Cow Lick, Red Eye, Swamp Venom and Raising the Steaks. I wouldn't combine any of them, unless you are lookin' to provide a little variation.[p]Hope you've been well, mang. Happy New Year right back toya!
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    Nature Boy,
    stop picking on my friend and box up my DP order. LOL
    Happy holidays to you,
    Darian

Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Nature Boy
    Options
    Photo Egg,
    Your order is already packed up, so I had some extra time to deal abuse. That's a nice order. Thank you!
    Beers and new years!
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,766
    Options
    Nature Boy,
    i finally had tried brisket from some place other than my egg, a new takeout Q place near work. it was so smokey you couldnt taste the brisket, i knew i was doing something wrong. i guess i just didnt know what taste i was shooting for until i had the chance to find out what brisket was supposed to taste like : ). the new place is never going to make it up here in newengland, we like sucky brisket from the egg much better, slight smoke flavor, loads of beefy brisket taste.

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it