Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

1st Butt - The Pig has landed.

Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Well we did it -*burp*- 1st butt was a success - now I know what all the fuss is about. Even picky teenage daughter loved it. 7.5 lb Boston Butt took 19 hours almost to the minute ( "Southern Succor" rub & slathered with mustard). Hit plateau at 170 degrees, dropped back to 167 at one point, and stayed there a full 3 hrs. before resuming climb. Other than droping to 185 deg. when unattended late last nite/early this morning, egg burned non-stop with no trouble, although at the end I had to open vents prety wide to maintain temp; probably running out of charcoal. Took no special care filling fire box - just filled it up to ring with Tru-Value lump right out of the bag. Will probably take more care next time. Cooking temp right thru plateau was around 230 deg, went to 250/275 after about 180 deg. to speed it up. In addition to the usual ketchup/mustard/bbq sauces I made a batch of "Vaunted Vinegar Sauce" out of "Smoke 'n Spice"; really good, & a switch from the usual tomato base stuff. Now for the clean up - thanx for the help everybody - see ya next time... ERIC

Comments