Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Neapolitan Pizza

Options
George
George Posts: 86
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
My neighbor returned from a trip to Italy and raved about the pizzas in Napoli. Then I heard about a new local pizza store that makes Neapolitan style pizzas, and how good they are, so I took a long drive to see for myself. They use a soft-wheat very fine 00 imported flour from Napoli (Caputo brand), make a thin crust, top it lightly, and bake for a few minutes in a 750° wood (oak with pecan or fruitwood) fired oven. I was so impressed that I bought a couple of dough balls to try at home. I also was able to find another brand of Neapolitan 00 flour locally and will try making the dough when the snow melts off my cooker on the patio. If you get a chance to try a Neapolitan style pizza, go for it.

Comments

• Richard
    Richard Posts: 698
    Options
    George,
    Crank up the BGE, that will take care of the snow.

• George
    Options
    Richard, another storm is predicted for Denver Thurs & Fri, so it might be awhile.

• FossilPeddler
    Options
    George,[p]I'm very interested to hear how your experiments work. I've made some great pizzas, and I'm happy with the setup. I got it from ToyMan, and it is simple. No platesetter, but use the Fibrament stone with the metal pan on the bottom. I was getting major flashback at the high temps until this setup. I cook at about 550 degrees.[p]Keep us posted!
  • Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    Options
    George, if Earl from Canada can carry his EGG with him to go moose hunting in northern Canada during January, you can get out there and clear that EGG off and start cooking. And we want pictures![p]Wise "Nothing is impossible for the man who does not have to do the work." One

• Lucky Duck
    Options
    George,
    I do a variation of that recipe that I found in Cuisine at Home. It calls for some cake flour. What kind of store would have 00 flour? All of the flour in your recipe is the 00? This Cuisine mags recipe is good enough to stretch by hand and toss it if ya wish. Please keep us/me informed. I have used different woods and I can't tell the difference. Just me I guess. [p]Phil, D' always wanting to do a better pizza Duck

• Frozen Chosen
    Options
    George,
    When we were in Naples I kept wondering why every pizza was burned on the bottom. Now come to realize that's the preffered style. If you want the definitive site for pizza napoletana, see the site jvpizza.sliceny.com. I have purchased the sourdough from Ischia and am going to try it all this weekend, figuring on an 800F cook for a very short time.

• George
    Options
    Lucky Duck, I first googled _Caputo flour_ and read about the product and US sources. Then I went to local Yellow Pages and found a distributor of imported Italian products and asked if they handle Caputo. They have similar imported flour in a different brand. One of their retail customers is a specialty Italian market in my neighborhood. He doesn't carry the soft-wheat 00 flour, but he ordered a 1 kilo bag for me. It isn't the Caputo brand, but it comes from Napoli and is the same style flour as Caputo. I have also learned that King Arthur markets an "Italian Style" flour, but I don't know if it's 00 made from soft wheat, or anything else about it. I think the 00 refers to an extremely fine grind, but I'm not certain.

• George
    Options
    Frozen Chosen, that's a fantastic site. Let us know how it goes for you.