Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Seasoning a cast iron grill

Options
Hustling Hare
Hustling Hare Posts: 105
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm a multiyear lurker and read the forum often. Have had a LBGE for nearly three years now and am generally getting pretty good at cooking on it. I would attribute much of the success to the answers I have read here. To all of you, thanks. btw, the Mad Max turkey was well received for the second year in a row.[p]Now, I think I remember seeing an answer to this question but was not successful using the search. Santa brought me a cast iron grill for my BGE. Looks beautiful. I would like recommendations on how best to season it if at all before use.[p]HH

Comments

• Kiwi Egger
    Options
    Hustling Hare,[p]Just oil mine with some "Grill Wipes" I found at Lowes. Six of the pads are in each re-sealable pack. Very cheap, and very easy to use/store. [p]I oil the cast iron grate, before and after the cook. Looks brand new after a year of service, guess it self-seasons.[p]You are going to love the steaks that the cast iron grate makes.[p]Kiwi Egger
  • Revolution
    Options
    Hustling Hare,[p]Any ideas on where to purchase the cast iron grid?[p]-Charlie

• MasterMason
    Options
    Revolution,[p]if you don't have a local distibutor, then call the mother ship. that's where I got my first one. the second I got at Eggs by the Bay eggfest....
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,740
    Options
    Hustling Hare,
    any seasoning you put on it will burn off every time you go to sear something on it. i just gave it an initial wash and started cooking with it. i dont clean the grill after using it, i clean it when i relight it for the next cook by giving it a quick scrape, then some heat. if you feel the need to season it, cook some sausages on it, plenty of grease in them to season a grill. with the cast iron there is also no need to hit 800 degrees to sear, the heat retention in the new grill will sear real well at 650-700 degrees

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Revolution
    Options
    Master Mason,[p]Thanks...[p]-Charlie
  • Hustling Hare
    Options
    Revolution,
    SanMine was ordered from a local dealer. He didn't have it in stock but got it pretty quickly. (ta was my mother who was also the angel that bought the BGE for me).

• Sundown
    Sundown Posts: 2,980
    Options
    Hustling Hare,[p]I've had my cast iron grill for three years now and I never do any thing to it. Like Fishless says, "scrape it off and go![p]By the way, if you flip it over you can have more surface to work with. Your grill marks will be awesome!!
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,740
    Options
    Sundown,
    it took me over a year to realize that there is 2 sides to the grill, i use the pointed side for steaks to make thinner lines that cross hatch, and the flat side to make wide lines on burgers. i guess im a slow learner

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Hustling Hare
    Options
    Hustling Hare,[p]Thanks for your comments and good advice. From what I just learned, I guess I know why I didn't find anything in a search.[p]Oh, and another general comment, that Chocolate Kalua Cake is also marvelous, even cooked indoors. Great things come from reading the forum.[p]HH