Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Egg newbie.........

Options
Sailor61
Sailor61 Posts: 13
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Ordered a large BGE yesterday, I'm picking it up on Friday or Saturday. What's the concensus about the best 1st timer recipe?[p]Thanks[p]TJ

Comments

• Sailor61,
    imho, cook whatever you feel comfortable with. maybe try what you last cooked on your gasser or in the oven. you will truly be amazed at the difference. once you master fire building and temperature control techniques, you can branch out into all the wonderful stuff people here will teach you![p]enjoy!

• BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    Options
    Sailor61,
    i went with ribeye's for my first buy a timer or use your watch get egg to 700deg and throw them on wait min and a half flip them wait another min and a half close egg up and wait 5 min open let them rest and enjoy. be careful of flashback actually be VERRY careful!! the naked wiz's site is a must look it over you will love your egg
    happy egging
    and welcome
    tb

[ul][li]Naked Wiz[/ul]

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    Sailor61,[p]Welcome to the wonderful world of Egging.[p]I usually recommend pork steaks for first cook because they can be grilled or barbecued. Tri-tip would be my second choice. With either, you have a few options for set-ups, they both can tolerate a variety of cooking temps and finish temps too. Depending on how you choose to cook them, they take just long enough (less than 1 or up to 4 hours) to allow you to play with your new toy. [p]Steaks are wonderful, but need a higher temp fire and the cook is over in a few minutes. Chicken can take some practice to match the doneness with crisp skin you may expect. Ribs require longer cook times (5 to 7 hours) and a few practice runs are a good idea to get them way you like them. Butts and brisket take a real long time and you need to work a little on fire control before jumping in on a 12+ hour cook.[p] If you http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com you will go to my cookin' site. My how to on tri-tip is in the BEEF section and pork steaks are in with the other PORK items.[p]<font size="3.5" color="green">~t<html><font size="3.5" color="red">h<html><font size="3.5" color="blue"><font size="3.5" color="blue">i<html><html><font size="3.5" color="orange">r<html><font size="3.5" color="green">d<html><font size="3.5" color="red">e<html><font size="3.5" color="blue">y<html><font size="3.5" color="orange">e<font size="3.5"<font size="3.5" color="red">~<html><font size=3.5" color="black"><html>

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • Woody54
    Woody54 Posts: 148
    Options
    Sailor61,[p]Keep it simple the first time and then expand into low and slow, etc. There IS a learning curve to it, although the Naked Whiz web site minimizes it. I always suggest spatchcock chicken for the first cook. T-Rex steaks are always impressive - key tips to T Rex are:
    a. watch out you don't fry your gasket (stay below 750 or so)
    b. don't overcook - the meat will rise 5-10 degrees after removing from the grill. The steak does not stay on the fire for long
    c. safety first - T Rex lends itself to "flashback" that can cause burnt arms and faces, again, see Naked Whiz[p]Good Luck, Happy New Year and Keep asking anything[p]Woody

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    Sailor61,[p]Um, a 15 pound brisket on a rack over 2@7 pound pork butts... Err, oh! you wanted a first cook, not a second...[p]Just joking, although there are some folks who jump right into the deeper water. [p]I started with "boneless" baby back ribs. In other words, a boneless section of pork loin cut from near some back ribs. These were the easiest to do in my previous grills and smoker. On the Egg, first time, they turned out better than 90 per cent of my earlier attempts.[p]gdenby[p]

• RittmanRod
    Options
    Sailor61,
    I started with steaks, hard to mess up, 1st batch of ribs I messed up left on too long and didn't have the platesetter, I think you should make sure to get a platesetter as a 1st extra.
    And Welcome to the "addiction"

• MasterMason
    Options
    gdenby,[p]I was one of those that jumped in the deep end on the first cook. 14 lbs of pork butt. Overnight using elder wards recipie to a tee.... everything went perfect and I have never looked back since