Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brining a turkey breast and cook instructions???

Options
Sandi
Sandi Posts: 107
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Have a turkey breast I'd like to cook up on Sunday. Any tips on brining and how I should cook it? Do I have enough time to brine it?

Comments

• sprinter
    sprinter Posts: 1,188
    Options
    Sandi,[p]You should have time to brine it if you put it in the sauce tonight or this afternoon. I typically use equal amounts of salt to sugar, then whatever spices I want after that. I like to use about 3/4 cup salt to 3/4 cup sugar for a gallon of water, make as much or as little as you need but these quantities need to be kept in proportion as you increase or decrease the amount of brine you make. If you want an interesting twist on it, add about a quarter cup of molasses in place of that much of the sugar, or use brown sugar in place of regular sugar. The possibilites are endless. Some people boil the brine, then allow it to cool, then add the meat. I dont do that and have had no adverse results. Its EXTREMELY important to add the meat to cool/cold brine. If you do heat the brine, be sure its cool or cold before addign the meat. If not, the meat will take on a LOT of salt. Once the brine is made and cooled, just plop in the meat and refrigerate until its ready to cook. Rinse the meat REAL WELL, more than you think you need to, then a bit more and then you're done. Rub as usual with q rub or just cook it. Not much else to it. Good luck, brined birds or pork is a real treat.[p]Troy
  • Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Options
    sprinter, thats excellent! No way to improve on a post like that...shame on ya :-)
    Kidding!!! C~W[p]

• sprinter
    sprinter Posts: 1,188
    Options
    Char-Woody,[p]Thanks CW, I learned from the best and I thank everyone here for that. Just happy to help out where I can.[p]Troy
  • Bobby Que
    Bobby Que Posts: 50
    Options
    Sandi,[p]Here is a link to an article that I found very helpful about brining (this is the first time I am attaching a URL link so if it does not come out-excuse me Sandi).

• Bobby Que
    Bobby Que Posts: 50
    Options
    Sandi,[p]Here is a link to an article that I found very helpful about brining (this is the first time I am attaching a URL link so if it does not come out-excuse me Sandi). [p]http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/chronicle/archive/1998/03/25/FD107260.DTL