Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Friend interested in egg, he wants to know why egg cooked...

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
food stays so moist. How do I explain this to him?

Comments

• Sundown
    Sundown Posts: 2,980
    Options
    NorthWoodsEgger,[p]It is the will of the Cult. [p]Need he know more?
  • Sundown
    Sundown Posts: 2,980
    Options
    Sundown,[p]Majick of the Egg.
  • Sundown,
    Hes going to want something more. I have an XL and love it but ws looking for a better explination.

• Dos Huevos
    Options
    NorthWoodsEgger,[p]Tell him it's magic and that you are contractually bound to Not divulge that information to anyone except egg owners.[p]
  • NorthWoodsEgger,
    have you ever noticed how you can't see the breath of a reindeer when it exhales? reindeer have specialized bones in their snouts that retain moisture:
    "Reindeer have specialized noses featuring nasal turbinate bones that dramatically increase the surface area within the nostrils. Incoming cold air is warmed by the animal's body heat before entering the lungs, and water is condensed from the expired air and captured before the deer's breath is exhaled, used to moisten dry incoming air and possibly absorbed into the blood through the mucous membranes." (Wikipedia)[p]the egg works in a similar fashion with the ceramic mass retaining heat and recycling the moisture. note neither reindeer nor eggs require a water pan.

• tach18k
    tach18k Posts: 1,607
    Options
    NorthWoodsEgger, it's because we don't cook the crap out of it, we slowly bring it to life as it was intended.

• Spin
    Spin Posts: 1,375
    Options
    NorthWoodsEgger,[p]Hot air carries moisture away from the food as it travels through the cooker. The egg, being so well insulated by the ceramic surrounding the cook, requires much less heat to maintain cooking temperature. Less required heat means less airflow through the egg, thus less moisture carried away from the meal.[p]Spin
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    Spin,
    this is sorta similar to what i heard too.[p]the metal lid of a weber-ish grill radiates heat like crazy. that heat needs to be made up somewhere, and comes from the meat and air in the cooker. meat gives up heat via water vapor, and that water vapor comes from the moisture in the meat.[p]made sense to me, but i dunno nuthin bout no thermodynamics!

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • SuperDave
    Options
    NorthWoodsEgger,[p]I would tell him that most of the airflow in the egg is to maintain the fire. The dome shape of the top makes it like a super insulated convection oven, the little dab of heat, exhaust escaping from the daisy wheel is minimal compared to other cookers, so the moisture of the meats inside, stays inside! In a fast cook (high temp) the meat is seared sealing in the natural juices.[p] If he doesn't buy that, stick with the Magic of the Egg explanation! It's closer to the truth![p]