Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Filet de Bouef en Croute

EdF
EdF Posts: 42
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
filet.jpg
<p />Or as we English speakers say, Beef Wellington, the Christmas meal this year. This is the first time I've posted a picture, not having a digital camera before, though I've been egging for 4-1/2 years.[p]You can cook just about anything in the egg.[p]- Ed

Comments

• EdF
    EdF Posts: 121
    Hmm, image too big?
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    EdF,[p]Very nice.[p]<font size="3.5" color="green">~t<html><font size="3.5" color="red">h<html><font size="3.5" color="blue"><font size="3.5" color="blue">i<html><html><font size="3.5" color="orange">r<html><font size="3.5" color="green">d<html><font size="3.5" color="red">e<html><font size="3.5" color="blue">y<html><font size="3.5" color="orange">e<font size="3.5"<font size="3.5" color="red">~<html><font size=3.5" color="black"><html>
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    wellingtonleftovers.jpg
    <p />EdF,
    nice work!
    we did them a bit different, as individual filets using phyllo pastry. also seared the tenderloins and let them cool before wrapping and doing the final roast til done[p]this was some of the leftovers. these didn't brown as much, because we didn't give them an egg or butter brushing.[p][p]

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • EdF,
    Looks incredible, anyway you could share the recipe?
    Thanks
    Stormy

• ronbeaux
    ronbeaux Posts: 988
    EdF,
    Nice work!!!

• EdF
    TheStormyDog,[p]We used the version in Julia Child's Art of French Cooking, Vol II - which would be way too long to type out, since it incorporates recipes for sauce (Ragout in this case), brioche (for the wrapper, done by my amazing wife), one for stuffed filet (mushrooms, good ham, duck pate, marsala, shallots, parsley & seasonings), and the final assembly.[p]We made everything a day ahead of time. The filet gets sliced into 1/2" sections that are reassembled salted and peppered with a tablespoon or two of the cooked stuffing between each slice. This gets tied up in oiled cheesecloth and string, then roasted ~25 minutes at dome ~475. Then refrigerate the roast overnight so the brioche dough can first rise twice, then be deflated and weighted so it won't rise after the second one. [p]Next day, about an hour or two before serving, roll out the brioche, put the filet on it, cut off the strings and cloth, then cover with another rolling pin full of brioche. Paint on some egg beaten with a tsp of water, twice. Into the egg at ~475 dome for 20 minutes, drop the temp to ~400 dome and cook until you get 120 internal for rare, or how you like it.[p]Yum.
  • EdF
    stike,[p]Looks beautiful. We'd be happy to help you with that bottle, too. ;-)[p]- Ed
  • jake42
    jake42 Posts: 932
    DoneWellington.jpg
    <p />EdF,Tried that myself. Did'nt look as good as yours though. Nice job.
    CookWellington.jpg
    PrepWel.jpg
    BeginWellington.jpg

• EdF
    jake42,[p]They look pretty fine to me. Nice touch with the blue cheese.[p]- Ed

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    EdF,
    it's long drained....[p]got two more '66s which we want to drink new year's eve, but the crowd is more the gulp and spill type. would like to kill them off in our (and the wine's!) 40th years. (ok, technically 41st).[p]anybody wanna help?

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante