Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

another Prime rib question

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
We have the egg warming to 500 and the prime rib roast is a 7 1/4 lber
we coated it with olive oil and garlic and dried rosemarry and fresh ground pepper & the bones were cut off and retied back on, do I sprinkle the spices between the bones and roast? and how far do I insert the temp probe into the roast for the polder?
I also want to know is 115 safe to take off and tent for 15 minutes for a rare to medium rare?
Because we like our prime rib after it is cut to be a little rare and then char it on the grid for a few minutes , gives it a real kick of flavor, I learn this out in San Diego at a place called the Hungry Hunter, thanks for the replies And Merry Christmas!
David in Spring Hill

Comments

• MCG DAWG
    Options
    Dave in Spring Hill,[p]You in Spring Hill TN? If so just south of you in Ringgold GA.[p]I try to get my probe pretty close the middle of the rib roast. [p]I've been taking my standing rib roasts off at 125 and allowing to sit and honestly they were closer to medium than I prefer. I'm taking my next one off at 118 or so to see if I get close to medim rare/rare finish that I like. [p]Good luck, let us know how it turns out. Posted to the au jus question below as well.
  • FSUScotsman
    Options
    Dave in Spring Hill,[p]I just did my first one today so I'm no expert. But I had the Egg going at 300 for my almost five pound rib. Two hours was too much. It got up to about 140 in about an hour and a half. I yanked it and just loosely tented it. It was just a little more done than I liked it, but my parents, who don't like their beef rare at all thought it was just PERFECT!!! For my first attempt I was really pleased. All of this is to say that I don't have a remote probe. I use an instant read. I want a good one and think I could do better with one, but I don't think that this one was bad at all. I've had a LOT worse that I've paid more for, than this whole one cost me at Publix. Practice will make perfect. New Years Eve I try again for friends!!!

• MCG DAWG
    Options
    FSUScotsman,[p]Hey, the remote Maverick ET-73 is commonly used by many on this forum. Some hate it, I love it. Allows you to remotely monitor meat and egg temps. Really handy when doing a prime rib for a dinner party as you don't have to be outside checking, opening the egg constantly, etc.

• MCG DAWG,
    cool how much cuz this one I got at Target for $17.00 is crap I need something good

• MCG DAWG
    Options
    DISH,[p]You can find them all over the web and on ebay (buy it now) for about $39 + shipping. I found my first 9 mos ago for $30 but after I let it get rained on the cheapest I found my replacement for it was for $39.[p]Simply google maverick thermometer ET-73 and you'll find it.