Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Simple Aus Jus for Rib Roast???

Kinger
Kinger Posts: 147
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Does anyone have a good simple recipe for Aus Jus that they would be willin got share? I am cooking an 8lb Rib Roast this evening.[p]JNK

Comments

• JNK,
    Hey how are you dong yours? we have a 7 1/4 lb rib roast
    and we were wondering how far do we need to insert the temp probe into the roast the bones were cut off and retied by the butcher
    as far as the sauce recipe goes everyone on here seems to say 1 cup of red wine and 1 cup of water along with the drippings from the roast and reduce down to half , my question is what kind of red wine?

• Kinger
    Kinger Posts: 147
    DISH,[p]I coated ours in heated mixture of mustard, worcestshire butter and a bit of turbinado sugar. Then applied a liberal amount of Kosher Salt and Dizzy Pig "Raising the Steaks". Just put it on the egg at 240 degrees indirect. I will monitor the temp and pull it off at 125 internal for a brief rest and then sear at or near 500 degrees direct for 5-8 mins. I think the whole process will take about 3.5 hours. Never done it quite like this before so it is somewhat of a leap of faith.[p]JNK
    [ul][li]http://www.biggreenegg.com/wwwboard/messages/224298.shtml[/ul]
  • JNK,
    I just read the naked whizes site and all the others pretty much say the same raise the heat to 500 put the roast on and close down till temp hits 325 and cook untill a internal temp of 125 I am gonna pull mine off at 118 abd tent for 15 minutes in foil tent, hope it works I am starving.

• JNK,[p]By far the easiest way is to take about 48 oz of beef stock and reduce it down to about 10-12 oz. Pour the drippings from the meat into it and voila, AU JUS.[p]I've tried various ways and this by FAR is the easiest and produces the most consistent good tasting au jus.
  • Hey Guys![p]I'm doing a 3 Rib 9 pounder. I made a butter paste with Red Wine, Raising the Steaks, a little Dizzy Dust, Fresh Rosemary, and a splash of balsamic.[p]I think I'm going to make something out of the gravy. Gorgonzola cream gravy perhaps?
  • MCG DAWG,[p]
    Thanks for the posting. Does reducing mean just boiling it until some of it evaporates? Sorry for the dumb question.

• DISH,[p]Why did the butcher cut the bones off? Everyone butcher I talked to before I did mine today said to leave the bones in, as they really yield a lot of flavor.[p]As far as the red wine, anything will do, and I do mean anything. Just use something that you would drink.

• Another novice,[p]No don't boil it, just simmer and stir. Boiling it will break it down and ruin the taste.

• Another novice,[p]As FSU noted, it's not a rolling boil, it's more a slow simmer. It usually takes 2-3 hours to get it to reduce down to the consistency and taste you want. I use 1 1/2 of the boxes of ready made beef stock you can get at the store.