Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

wood chunks

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
was just looking for a little advise on how much wood to use this weekend!!!i plan on cooking a 20 lb fresh ham and a ten lb butt. i am shooting for a start time fri eve and cooking low and slow till sat. eve. i have about 4 or 5 small chunks of hickory and about the same amount of wild cherry. will that be enough and a good combo??? or whould you throw in a little apple??? also one more thing. i put on a dry rub wed. eve and now my meat looks like it is sitting in a marinade. is this normal???

Comments

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Options
    mike k, if your rub has a salt base to it, maybe it is drawing moisture out of the meat. Not unusual for a fresh meat to excrude some serum's.
    I would go with the Cherry wood only on the smoke. 3 or 4 chunks should be sufficient.
    You can quick freeze the exterior (Cat's forum posting) for a deeper smoke penetration if you like.. About a hour in the freezer prior to insertion in the BGE. Build yourself a smoke fire.
    Cheers and good luck..
    C~W[p]

• Char-Woody,
    thanks c-w i was hopeing you were still up and chime in. would you use the fire bricks on this type of cook?

• Char-Woody,
    I agree...cherry on this one. Apple is great...but cherry is better...and only on the smoke..[p](good man is he)

• Char-Woody
    Options
    mike k, just a drip pan and a raised platform will be sufficient for a low and slow cook like this. Looks like you will need a dual side by side drip pan set up for this one or set up the butt to roast over the fresh ham..(smaller chunk over the larger for the dome room. Might a difficult set up.
    I would probably use two firebricks on edge to support the second grill over the drip pans..and then place my meat the best way I could to get as much over the drip pan as I can.
    Use a little liquid in the pans to avoid burning fats. if for no other reason.
    C~W[p]

• Char-Woody
    Options
    SmokinSteve, I see you been there :-)
    I have cherry, apple, apricot, hickory, pecan, and lilac, and my neighbor brought me over some soft maple today..Might try that in 5 or 6 months..fresh cut trimmings.
    C~W[p]

• Char-Woody,
    sounds good. i can not wait to see how the cherry does!! which side of ham sould be done? (fat side?)

• Char-Woody,
    sounds good. i can not wait to see how the cherry does!! which side of ham sould be down (fat side?)

• Char-Woody
    Options
    mike k, I would do the old standby, fat side up for basting.
  • JimW
    JimW Posts: 450
    Options
    mike k,
    If your ham was one of the 'water added' types, it will leak.
    JimW