Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cooking time for 2 roasts vs 1

edbro
edbro Posts: 300
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have 2 5# prime ribs that I'm cooking for today. I know that a single roast takes about 1.5 hours. Will having a second roast in the LBGE increase the time, or will both cook in the 1.5 hours? I'm thinking no but thought I'd better ask the pros.

Comments

• Woody54
    Woody54 Posts: 148
    edbro,[p]I'm bettin' it will be a little longer than 1.5 hrs, but not much. Definitely not 3 hrs.[p]Woody[p]PS> I'm no pro, But I can attest that it works that way for pulled pork.
  • Haggis
    Haggis Posts: 998
    edbro,[p]As long as the two roasts are not blocking each other in some manner, they will most likely cook as though each was alone in the Egg. That is, if one roast takes 2 hours, two roasts will also take two hours.[p]If they are both cold when you put them in, it might take a bit longer for the Egg to return to the cooking temp simply because of the thermal effects of the larger meat mass.
  • edbro
    edbro Posts: 300
    Haggis, and Woody,
    Thanks guys. I finished the cook and it went a bit long. But, it was hard to tell because I put the meat on at fridge temp instead of room temp like I wanted to do. But, very moist and tender. A good coating of Raising the Steaks and a good sear made for a wonderful crust.