Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Jerkey advice

Options
Chuck
Chuck Posts: 812
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hi all,[p]I would like to try some jerkey this weekend and need some advice. What cut of meat would be good to start with? How thick should I slice it? I have read of you all doing it hanging from a grate or laying on a mesh. What are the advantages or disadvantages of each method? Somewhere I read not to use hot sauce, why? Any other advice or recommendations for a recipe etc. will be appreciated. Thanks in advance.[p]Also, my wife just discovered my new mini, stashed in the basement. I told her i was just holding it for Orio Kid and he said I could try it out for him. She laughed and mumbled something about Longaburgers. Can you cook them on an egg?[p]Have a great weekend everyone.[p]Chuck <><

Comments

• sprinter
    sprinter Posts: 1,188
    Options
    Chuck,[p]I've used Gfw's method with wonderful results. I use brisket to make my jerkey, cut it about an eighth of an inch thick. Use whatever marinade you want, the River City recipe in the recipe section is hard to beat but I've found that its pretty sweet. I add some chipoltes to the marinade and it tastes great to me. Once the meat is marinated, cook indirect about 225 or so and just pile the meat up on the grate. Turn it occasionally to get it all cooked. I use a TON of cherry wood to get it good and smoky. This method takes a bit more maintenance than hanging it like others do but I like the "process" of making jerkey so it suits me fine. Gfw has a great page at his site about this, give it a look and it will answer your questions. Good luck.[p]Troy
  • RhumAndJerk
    RhumAndJerk Posts: 1,506
    Options
    Chuck,
    Given the price and functionality of Longanburgers, you got the better deal. Even as far artwork goes, I think that are you still above a basket. [p]Wait, let’s add it up for her:
    If she cooks something using only Pampered Chef cooking utensils, places it in a Longanburger Basket, next to Partylight Candles and candleholders, under a Home Interiors Sconce and matching picture, all while wearing Mary Kay makeup … well, you get the idea. I think that the appropriate excuse is, well I could not just go to the party and not order anything, because people would look at me funny. The translation for us is, I had order the mini because the people on Forum would write to me funny.[p]Oh yeah, the one time that I made beef jerky, I used a perforated grill wok and kept moving the meat every half hour for about seven hours. Give the following thread a read; there is some wonderful advice in it[p]Do not hide the mini; display it with pride!
    RhumAndJerk[p]

[ul][li]Best Meat for Jerky[/ul]
  • Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Options
    sprinter, I tried accessing his web page and its down now..I wonder if he is working on it while in Aruba?
    C~W[p]

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Options
    sprinter, I tried accessing his web page and its down now..I wonder if he is working on it while in Aruba?
    C~W[p]

• sprinter
    sprinter Posts: 1,188
    Options
    Char-Woody,[p]Man, life sure is tough. I imagine that he has his servers down while he's away ( I think he hosts his page at his own place doesnt he?). I know that we shut down the external access to our entire internal network when we go home at night here at our office. People can get to our ASP servers but our router to the internet is off. Just protects our stuff from those nasty hackers.[p]Or, as you say, he could be working on the website while in Aruba (and I have a real nice piece of land to sell you also). Have a great one this weekend, some new and interesting ribs on tap, not oiled ribs but these will be interesting. Stay tuned.[p]Troy
  • MickeyT
    MickeyT Posts: 607
    Options
    View?u=474327&a=10378379&p=37249582&Sequence=0&res=high
    <p />Chuck,[p]IMHO, brisket is the one that works for me. I have as we speak a brisket and a tip marinating. Ready to go on in the morning. I marinade mine for 2/2 1/2 days. Seems to really kick up the flavor. I may have a different opinion after this weekend though (with a different cut of meat that is).[p]I have never gone direct so I can't comment on that. [p]I hang mine with tooth picks, cook inderect @ 160-180. About a 5-6 hour cook usually works.[p]Another suggestion would be to cut the fat cap off each pc rather that the whole brisket. Just seems a little easier.[p]Good luck Chuck.[p]Mick

• Mop
    Mop Posts: 496
    Options
    Chuck, I prefer to use top,inside or outside ROUND, very little fat and long grain.
    The meat cutter can cut you off a 4 or 5 pound roast and slice it into "sheets" for you and you just have to cut strips from that.
    I hang mine and do use hot sauce, 1/2 cup actually, and I use ground peppers too.
    But to each their own.
    Get the meat cutter to slice the sheets 3/16 to 1/4" MAX![p]Have a blast, jerky is real good on the egg cause it`s so easy to keep a steady temp......[p]Mop!