Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

rain????

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I will be smoking a turkey tonight..in Florida..if the egg gets wet..because we are going to get some rain..will it harm my big green egg????

Comments

• uncbbq
    uncbbq Posts: 165
    Options
    Chip Brown,
    No problem at all. There have been some incredible photos on this site of folks egging in downpours. Have at it.

• Haggis
    Haggis Posts: 998
    Options
    Chip Brown,[p]"Lions and tigers and bears, oh my!"[p]"Help me, I'm melting . . . "[p]The answer is, no, your Egg will keep on chugging in any and all weather conditions provided it doesn't get completely flooded through the vents. Light rain won't hurt at all. Some folks rig up a coffee can or something similar to keep things a bit drier.[p]
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,893
    Options
    IMG_0209.jpg
    <p />Chip Brown,
    no problem, but during some storms here in the midwest we can get real gully washers so I prefer an inexpensive cap like this. Get one at the HVAC section of any big box store like orange or blue. It's merely a roof top vent cover. Just remember they get HOT !

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    Chip Brown,[p] Only if the amount of rising water does exceed the displacement volume of the egg. It might sink in which case the fire will go out..[p] If you egg sinks call me. I specialize in Deep Water Egg recovery. :)[p]
  • Haggis
    Haggis Posts: 998
    Options
    Celtic Wolf,[p]Do you claim salvage rights in such cases?
  • Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    Haggis,[p] Shhhhhh! You aren't supposed to tell people that!! GEESH!!!
  • Mike in MN
    Options
    Chip Brown,
    I egged a small brisket through a storm that knocked out the power, took down 2 "specimen" trees, caused a couple of 30' pine trees to lean, beat all the plants around the house to death from the wind and hail, and did about $30,000 worth of damage to the house. It was blowing so hard, you couldn't see anything. I thought Mr. Egg was going to be spread all over the neighborhood, but he never moved, and just kept right on cooking. We had sammiches late, by candlelight. No problem.[p]Mike in MN