Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Turkey

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Any suggestions for cooking a 12-14 lb turkey? Wood? Times?

Comments

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Options
    Dr. Seuss, Turkey stuffed or unstuffed, squatting on a sitter or prone..and what woods do you have available. Some like pure hickory..some like a sweet fruit wood. If your going with a fruit cavity pack, I would go with either apple or cherry. Pear or peach wood is good also.[p]Others may also have other ideas here.[p]We do have a section on Smoking Woods on the forum that deals with many woods and their uses, but as true intrepenours, we forum users bend the wood so to speak and improvise many other woods. For instance I forgot to mention mesquite, and I have some mesquite seed needles dried and ready for use.
    Cheers to ya...C~W

• Char-Woody,
    the wild cherry i have was just cut down a few days ago, will that be ok to use know. do you like pecan on turkey?

• Char-Woody
    Options
    mike k, I like to use a cured wood for smokes but I have read posts on other forums where a wet green wood was used. If you do use it, use less, like 2 instead of 4 for a start. Wet new woods tend to have a bit more resins or tars.
    Go easy and mix with another dry wood of similar type. Apple..etc.

• Char-Woody,
    I have a vertical roaster and v-rack at my disposal; apple and orange wood. How does a stuffing work with smoking? And what fruits would you use. I'm in Florida and when using the convection range, tend to use oranges for inside and also as a base for my injection. Once injected turkey with butter/tangelo/Grand Marnier mixture--pretty good!
    Also, I was wondering about temps and times.

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    Dr. Seuss,[p]Turkey (foul in general) absorbs smoke easily - very easily - so unless you really like a lot in the taste, just using the natural lump charcoal will impart a tiny amount by itself. I normally add no wood and a chunk is a lot of smoke (IMHO). You might want to use none or very little since a 12lb'er will be in the Egg for some time cooking. [p]Good luck with it, we are eager to hear the results.[p]Tim
  • JJ
    JJ Posts: 951
    Options
    Dr. Seuss,
    I cook turkey at 350* for 20 min per pd. V-rack with a drip pan. Internal temp of 180* (thigh)

• Char-Woody
    Options
    Dr. Seuss, The V rack is the choice if your stuffing a bird. I find elevating the meat as high as possible over the drip pans will give a more even textured cook.[p]Stuffing is usually not recommended due to the very outside chance of salmonella in the hot moist climate. However if you do..then use a second polder or check the stuffing for at least 160F in the centr of the cavities. This will assure a safe product. That is in addition to the 170 breast and 180 thigh temps.
    I also use oranges and apple mix...Usually MacIntosh for the apple.
    I like to air dry the birds exterior overnight exposed in the refrigerator (Cooks Illustrated article) to help condition the skin..and I have switched to peanut oil/rubs for the outside just prior to inserting the bird. I also condition the bird under the skin with rubs and a mix of oil, lemon juice, rub. That is another process. :-)
    I have yet to inject a turkey bird..They are very juicy with out it..but one day I shall.
    Good luck..
    C~W