Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Help! There is a vegetarian in my house!

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
A friends dad was in a terrible motorcycle accident, so they had to fly in unexpectedly. They are staying with me because they are allergic to their families pets. His wife (my best friend ever) is a vegetarian. I would like to cook them a special meal one night next week, but I really don't know how to prepare a fabulous vegetarian dish. Any suggestions are welcome.

Comments

• WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Options
    MrsNuggs,
    LOL...you know I cant help you with that one Darlin...[p]Wess

• uncbbq
    uncbbq Posts: 165
    Options
    MrsNuggs,
    I'm not really your best resource, either, but we have had great grilled squash and asparagus on the egg. Just a little EVOO and go. I recently saw some grilled portabella mushrooms mentioned on the forum, too. And then there's always pulled tofu.

• mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    christy[p]how about a good mac and cheese or a meatless lasagna? .. .both would be great on the egg.. .if you need recipes let me know, i'll help you out. .. [p]max
  • J Appledog
    J Appledog Posts: 1,046
    Options
    Eggplant, MrsNuggs![p]Slice it, brush with mayo and coat with Parmesan cheese. Cook at a high temp.

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,759
    Options
    100_0177.jpg
    <p />MrsNuggs,
    a real vegatarian, or the fish eating kind. stuffed poblanos are good if she doesnt eat fish

[ul][li]chili rellanos[/ul]
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    MrsNuggs,
    just thought, how about some of those bruchettas that you and sally made at eggfest? . ..

• Richard
    Richard Posts: 698
    Options
    MrsNuggs,
    Christy, you have mail.

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    MrsNuggs,[p]My daughter is an "ovo-lactarian" vegetarian. That is, she'll eat food with eggs or dairy. Its not too hard to cook for her when she comes over. If you friend is not strictly vegan, I can think of a few good Egg recipes.[p]Stuffed pumpkin and squash works well on the Egg. There are all sorts of filling you can put in. Scoop out the interior, prick all-over inside with a fork, coat with oil. I usually mix pre-cooked wild rice, quinoa, pumpkin pie spice, some ground nuts, and some dried fruits when I cook for my daughter. The stuffed pumpkin/squash needs to get to a bit over 200. Cook it indirect, with a drip pan, because they are likely to ooze a sort syrupy fluid. A coating of oil on the outside makes them look especially nice.[p]Also, I make something called "herbed flat bread." I don't have the recipe at hand, but its sort of like a very thin fast cooking quiche. I'm sure you could find it thru google. It cooks like a pizza on the Egg, but is a little quicker. The dough is coated with an herb oil mix. You can toss on all sorts of vegetables. I use dried tomatoes, pepperoncini, and roasted red pepper. Then an egg/goat cheese mix is poured on, then another thin coat of the heb/oil mixture. It only takes about 10 minutes at 500.[p]hope this helps,[p]gdenby

• Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    Options
    MrsNuggs, while I can never confess to (knowingly) eating tofu, here is one recipe that someone did on the EGG

[ul][li]Tofurkey[/ul]
  • MrsNuggs,[p]My vegetarian friends (those who will stoop to seafood) rave about my seafood stuffed, grilled eggplant.[p]Cut the eggplant in two, lengthwise, but leave the skin on. Scoop out the center and reserve. Coat the ski with olive oil and grill cut-side down, direct, for about ten minutes at 325-350.[p]Meanwhile, get some scallops, shrimp, whitefish, etc (about 1/4 lb per person), chop and mix in a bowl with two eggs. Sautee any chopped veggies you can find in some olive oil, along with the eggplant you scooped out, until everything is soft and mix in with the seafood. Thicken with seasoned breadcrumbs. Season to taste (it will need salt for sure) and throw in a healthy handful of grated parmesan-reggiano.[p]Stuff the grilled eggplants and put them back in the egg, indirect, skin-side down until brown. Maybe fifteen minutes.[p]If your vegetarian friends don't eat fish I can't help you unless I get out my tofu book. :P
  • Bobby-Q
    Bobby-Q Posts: 1,994
    Options
    MrsNuggs,
    I'd make a really nice Beef tenderloin cooked to about 135° and then get them good and liquored up and then let nature take it's course.[p]When they wake up just explain that you have cured them of their terrible affliction and their life will be so much better from this point on.[p]:)

• uncbbq,
    Pulled tofu? I really hope thats a joke!

• uncbbq
    uncbbq Posts: 165
    Options
    Mrs Nuggs,
    Yup. But grilled tofu is tasty to some.

• YB
    YB Posts: 3,861
    Options
    MrsNuggs,
    This recipe for wok veggies from Nature Boy is GREAT.
    Larry

[ul][li]NB's Veggies[/ul]
  • RhumAndJerk
    RhumAndJerk Posts: 1,506
    Options
    MrsNuggs,
    This recipe is great as a side dish or a meal.[p]Also, the Great Pumpkin can be made vegetarian.[p]There is also a wheat product called seitan that can be grilled well as a meat substitute. Also, Cooks Illustrated did a review of Vegi-burgers and then came up with a recipe to make your own.[p]Let us not forget the classic grilled Portobello Mushroom.[p]Hope this Helps,
    RhumAndJerk[p]

[ul][li]Spinach Pie[/ul]
  • RhumAndJerk
    RhumAndJerk Posts: 1,506
    Options
    Here is a link to basics about Seitan.[p]The stuff is pretty good.
    R&J

[ul][li]Seitan--The Vegitarian Wheat Meat[/ul]
  • jake42
    jake42 Posts: 932
    Options
    fishlessman,
    Followed that recipe awhile back. Came out great.[p]Thanks!!!!
    pablano.jpg

• Roadkill
    Options
    MrsNuggs, 2-winners here:
    1) Asparagus spears coated with EVOO and Kosher Salt - grilled to show grill marks on a grid[p]
    2) Portabellas - If whole, marinated in EVOO and Balsamic Vinegar and grill 4-5 minutes both sides. If sliced, then drizzle with EVOO and sprinkle with Montreal Seasoning and grill both sides -- definitely tastes like steak!

• Essex County
    Options
    MrsNuggs,
    We had a party last year and realized that one of our guests was a vegetarian. First course was ABTs. I took some rub-seasoned, cream cheese filled jalapenos and put a piece of tempeh inside instead of the sausage. Then I made some long strips of carrot just by using the peeler. Those got blanched until they were soft enough to wrap around the pepper and then got painted with EVOO. These went on and cooked just like the other ABTs. They came out great. Really.
    Paul

• tomo
    tomo Posts: 78
    Options
    MrsNuggs,
    Our neigbors are vegetarian. We had them over and along with grilled vegies, I had portobello mushrooms. I brush them with a mixture of olive oil and balsamic vineger. I then put them on a 350 degree grill(Used to make ABT's for the rest of us) gill side down until they looked and smelled like they were cooked. Flip them over and cooked the other side and then topped with pepper cheese until the cheese was melted. Must have been good as they called for advice yesterday and later saw them on the porch using their gasser. They must have liked them as it was 18 degrees when they were grilling....tom

• MrsNuggs,
    Hmmm... Vegetarian you say? Unless it is unusually small, you'll need an XL BGE to fit it in.[p]If you need to fatten it up before butchering, there are several good vegetable dish recipes on the Weber sight:
    http://www.weber.com/bbq/pub/recipe/category.aspx?c=vegetable[p]
    My personal favorite is Portabello Mushrooms stuffed with spinach and dried tomatoes
    Ingredients -
    10 oz baby spinach leaves
    1/2 cup finely chopped yellow onion
    2 teaspoons finely chopped garlic
    1 cup finely dices red tomato
    1/4 cup oil-packed, sun dried tomatoes, thinly sliced
    1/4 cup pitted and coarsely chopped Kalamata olives
    Kosher salt
    Freshly ground black pepper[p]4 large Portabello Mushrooms, 5 to 6 inches across
    1/4 cup fine, soft bread crumbs[p]Cooked drain and cool the spinach, or just open a can and drain. Squeeze out all excess liquid, then finely chop the spinach. You should have about 1 cup.
    Warm 2 tablespoons of EVOO over medium heat.
    Add onion and cook to golden brown. About 5 minutes.
    Add the garlic and cook for 30 seconds.
    Add the diced tomatoes and cook for 1 minute.
    Add the spinach, sun dried tomatoes, olives, 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Cook an additional 1 or 2 minutes until all the moisture is evaporated.[p]Remove and discard the mushroom stems
    Clean out the veins with a spoon and discard.
    Generously coat the mushrooms with EVOO and sprinkle with 1/4 teaspoon salt.
    Grill, smooth side up over direct medium heat until well marked. (About 5 minutes)
    Transfer to a work surface and with smooth sides down, fill the mushrooms with the spinach mixture.
    In a small bowl, toss the bread crumbs with 1 tablespoon EVOO, salt and pepper to taste.
    Sprinkle each mushroom with bread crumbs.
    Grill, smooth side down, over direct medium heat, until the bread crumbs are brown and mushrooms are tender. (about 5 to 10 minutes.)[p]Serve warm.[p]
    Once fattened, dressed and skinned, I’d say 350 dome for 45 minutes per pound for the Vegetarian.

• MrsNuggs,[p]My wife is a vegetarian and she just bought me my first egg (large). What a saint. She does eat seafood. We still cook a lot of vegetables on the grill. You need to find out what kind of vegetarian the person is. If he/she eats seafood, it will be easy. If not, you certainly can cook mixed vegetables on the egg. Make sure that they are liberally coated with olive oil. Asparagus is good coated with olive oil. When the asparagus is done, put some basalmic vineger and salt and pepper to taste. If he/she is a vegan, belive it or not, take firm tofu and brush on some bbq sauce (with no meat drippings in it). Grill the tofu until warm and slightly cooked on the outside and make it into a wrap with shredded cabbage. Also, you can do pizza on the egg as long as they are not a vegan. If they are vegan, you can use soy cheese or just do not put cheese on it.
    I have had tofu tons of fimes. I would not eat it unless you have to. It takes some getting used to. Most vegetarians are just happy if there is some stuff that does not have meat in it so that they can eat. If there are ample well cooked vegetables and some rice or pasta, most vegetarians are happy as can be.