Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

welcoming all tips

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hello,
New egg owner, moving up from a Brinkmann water smoker. Pressure is on this holiday season. Over the next few days, I have to do a pulled pork, then sausages, then a turkey.
Any suggestions in general, or more specifically on learning how to level out and maintain proper temps?
thanks!

Comments

• Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    kramerdog,[p] For all things Egg climb the internet mountain and ask The Naked Whiz
  • kramerdog,
    Welcome to the group! I can give you some ideas about regulating your temp. [p]Once you know your coals are lit (I use an electric starter, which has never failed me and gets things going in about five minutes), close the dome but leave your bottom vent and top vent wide open. Keep your eye on the thermometer, and when it gets within a few degrees of your desire temp, shut the bottom and top vents to about the width of two fingers. If you're doing low temps, maybe a single finger-width. Just keep your eye on the thermometer for a few minutes. If she creeps up, narrow the vents just a wee bit; open them a wee bit if she starts to cool off. When the needle is steady for a couple of minutes, you can basically forget your fire and work on food.[p]Some people on the board are familiar enough with their eggs to set their vents as soon as the coals are lit. I haven't quite gotten that good, plus, I think giving the coals a lot of air at the start can get you to temperature pretty fast.[p]Good luck!

• kramerdog,
    Welcome to the group! I can give you some ideas about regulating your temp. [p]Once you know your coals are lit (I use an electric starter, which has never failed me and gets things going in about five minutes), close the dome but leave your bottom vent and top vent wide open. Keep your eye on the thermometer, and when it gets within a few degrees of your desire temp, shut the bottom and top vents to about the width of two fingers. If you're doing low temps, maybe a single finger-width. Just keep your eye on the thermometer for a few minutes. If she creeps up, narrow the vents just a wee bit; open them a wee bit if she starts to cool off. When the needle is steady for a couple of minutes, you can basically forget your fire and work on food.[p]Some people on the board are familiar enough with their eggs to set their vents as soon as the coals are lit. I haven't quite gotten that good, plus, I think giving the coals a lot of air at the start can get you to temperature pretty fast.[p]Good luck!

• wrobs
    wrobs Posts: 109
    Options
    kramerdog,
    Welcome to Eggdom... you are at the right place to gather tons of data as you learn your new "toy"... As far as temps go... what size egg do you have? I believe they will all be a little different and vary with size. I have a large BGE and I can maintain 220 with the bottom vent open ~ 1/4" and the daisy wheel aligned 1/2 way with small vents (big vent closed). I can get 325 with the bottom vent open ~1" and the daisy wheel small vents open. The temp setting for your egg might be the longest learning curve but starting out here is a great idea... I learned tons of info from the many kind folks here and all are more than willing to help out. Good luck on your cooks and enjoy the Holidays.
    Cheers
    wrobs

• wrobs,
    Large egg. Thanks for the advice. Pulled pork is going to be my starter with this, going all night tomorrow night to take to a family brunch Saturday. Looking forward to playing with all that I can do with the egg.
    thanks again!

• kramerdog,
    At least starting out, get a thermometer that you can monitor grate temps with. Low-N-Slow temp gap between dome and grate in a large can easily be 30 or 40 degrees F. Also, once stabilized the BGE is very good at maintaining a steady temp for a long time, but you should monitor how yours does, at least for the first few long cooks.

• BajaTom
    BajaTom Posts: 1,269
    Options
    kramerdog,
    You will need to monitor your overnite cooks the first few times so the fire doesn't go out. I've had both good and bad overnites so just beware. I just bought a guru this year after using my large egg for over 9 years. The guru will help to make those overnites care free. Good luck, Tom

• BBQBluesStringer
    Options
    Bajatom,
    Guru isn't foolproof. I've woke up to a cold firebox, alarming Guru and pissed off neighbors on more than one occasion.[p]

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,767
    Options
    kramerdog,
    print out all 4 parts, all the tricks are in there. its easier to maintain a 250 dome on your first pork butt. works fine. check on things every 3 or 4 hours, if temps start dropping in the middle of the cook, its most likely ash build up, use a coat hanger to reach thru the lower vent to poke thru the cast iron grate. after the pulled pork cook, every thing is easy as you have now learned temp control

[ul][li]parts 1 and 2[/ul]
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,767
    Options
    fishlessman,

[ul][li]parts 3 and 4[/ul]
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it