Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Poll on beef temperatures for medium rare

Options
Memphis
Memphis Posts: 144
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
You hear/read so many different temperatures for medium rare on a ribeye roast. Anywhere from 120 deg to 145 deg !!!! Some people say to pull at 120 and let it rest for med rare others say pull at 145 for a perfect medium rear. This is a HUGE variance. I think 120 is the way to go. What do y'all say ?????

Comments

• Scribs
    Scribs Posts: 27
    Options
    Memphis,
    I would not go above 125. I pull mine at 120 and let rest for 10-15 minutes. If you pull at 145 it will end up 155. [p]

• Woody54
    Woody54 Posts: 148
    Options
    Memphis,[p]145 is med-rare, but suggest you pull it at 5-10 degrees below that, as it will rise that much during the rest. [p]Pulling at 120 will yield very rare, IMHO.[p]Let the opinions flow.
  • Lucky Duck
    Options
    Memphis,
    Pull at 130/135... Let 'er rest! [p]Phil, D'probe poken temperature controllen Duck

• Morro Bay Rich
    Options
    Memphis,
    ".....145 fpr a perfect medium rear....."[p]IMHO, it sounds like you have been hanging around this group toooo long. ;-o)

• thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    Memphis,[p]
    The pulling temperature is what you have to master so that the rested temperature is where you want it to be. But the pulling temperature is based on your cooking temperature...... You must take into account that if you are cooking at a higher temperature, say 350°, your roast will rise to a higher temp during the rest than if you are cooking your roast at 225°.[p]To answer your question, everybody varies somewhat...I use these after resting numbers:
    120°-ish rare
    125°-130° medium rare
    140° medium
    +145° - ruined[p]~thirdeye~

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • Lucky Duck
    Options
    thirdeye,
    I couldn't help but laugh at your "ruined" comment... I wasn't expecting something flip... I thought more words of wisdom were a coming! [p]Phil, D' LOL Duck

• Memphis,
    Been doing rib roasts for years. We pull off the grill at
    118 deg., wrap in foil and towels and put in a cooler till
    the martini's are done. Roast is medium rare on the ends
    and rare in the center - just like we like it.

• thirdeye,
    I'd like to add one more:
    According to my wife - pulled after a full burn & clean = perfect.

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    Memphis,
    im closest to what thirdeye posted except that size also plays a part. a 2 bone roast can come off the grill about 5 degrees higher than a 4 bone or bigger. bone in ribeyes get cooked at 325, no bone at 350, big roast gets pulled at 120-122, small roast 125-127. if anyone wants it served differently, they had better bring the roast or they are lost and are at the wrong house

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    fishlessman,[p]I will keep the Egg burning until the roast is sliced. If anyone really needs a more well done slice, one minute and one turn usually makes their piece just right.[p]~thirdeye~

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • ronbeaux
    ronbeaux Posts: 988
    Options
    thirdeye,
    Long story short. I cooked 52 ribeyes(no not on an egg) for the guys at work and I told them up front that I would not cook them past medium. I think I converted at least 23 of them. They were hungry and had to eat.