Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pizza

surveyor
surveyor Posts: 124
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hi I need help again I have tried to make pizza many times I always have the same problem I can never get the pizza off of the peal I have a wood one and a Steel one. Any tricks I need to know Thanks

Comments

• Surveyor,
    parchment paper between pizza and peel.
    or a whole lotta corn meal

• surveyor
    surveyor Posts: 124
    Thanks I will try that

• Surveyor,
    Cornmeal acts like little ballbearings for the pizza.[p]Sort of.

• George
    George Posts: 86
    Surveyor, I build the pizza on the wooden peel with corn meal unnder the dough. Then I slide a length of dental floss under the pie to unstick any stuck spots, and the pie slides off easily.

• Surveyor,
    I build pies on a wooden peal that I have sprinkled a little cornmeal on. You don't need a lot. Just don't leave the pie sitting on the peel for a long time. Another thing you can do to help is let the dough sit for a while to develop a bit of a skin. This will stick less. If you do need to leave the pie on the peel for very long, give it a shake every minute or two to keep it loose. And of course, make sure your dough isn't sticky to begin with. Good luck![p]TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • icemncmth
    icemncmth Posts: 1,165
    Surveyor,[p]Depending on how wet your dough is...you can do what everyone else has suggested and you can also shape your dough and let it sit for a couple of mins..then since you have two peels...take the one you have the dough on put the other one on a table and put some cornmeal on it..then flip the one to the other so that you have the peel that you started with upside down ontop of the fresh peel..[p]The reason is if you shape the dough and let it sit the top will dry a little then you can put the dry side down on the new peel......
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    pizza.jpg
    <p />Surveyor,
    Lately I've been making my pizzas in air bake pans with good results. Parchment paper is the best insurance against dough sticking to the peel and you can cook the pie on it. It works well for making bread also. -RP

• David
    David Posts: 97
    Surveyor,[p]All you should need is a little flour to keep it from sticking.[p]My mother's pizza dough recipe from Napoli:[p]4 cups flour
    1 tablespoon yeast
    2 tablespoons olive oil
    1 teaspoon salt[p]1 1/3 c. tepid water (not HOT because hot water kills the yeast)[p]Proof the yeast in one third cup water, mix together and knead for a few minutes. Let sit for an hour or so until you’re ready to make the pizza. Roll out the dough with some flour on the board and rolling pin. Be sure to brush the dough with olive oil before you put on the sauce so it doesn’t get wet and soggy.[p]

• jake42
    jake42 Posts: 932
    Pizza2.jpg
    <p />Surveyor,
    I usually sprinkle a little corn meal on my pizza stone.

• Surveyor,[p]I made the best pizza ever the other night. I put parchment paper on the peel and made the pizza right on that. I cooked mine in the oven, on the floor of the oven, right on the parchment paper. The crust was perfect as far as texture and degree of doneness. I wasn't 100% satisfied with the flavor but it was darn good. It needs to take more like in a pizza place![p]Try the parchment.[p]Gwen
  • David,[p]What size, and how many will this recipe make? Interesting... so little salt.[p]Thanks for sharing it.[p]Phil, D' pizza making Duck

• David
    David Posts: 97
    LUCKY DUCK,[p]Salt was scarce in Italy. Its a rare recipe that uses a lot of salt.[p]Its been a while, but I think it usually made 3-5 good sized (14") pizzas. The crust of course, should be rolled very thin.
  • Surveyor,
    i had problems too. i've been using pizza screens and pans with great success. they both work great.