Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Building My own BGE Table

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I just finished building my table from the plans on this website. The first thing I ever built with wood! My question is about how safe the wood table is with the high heat from the egg? Have there been any fires reported? My top is red cedar and the frame pressure treated.

Comments

• GaDawg
    GaDawg Posts: 178
    Options
    KB in the northeast,
    Just be sure to raise the egg on one of those round
    concrete stones that are about an inch thick from
    Home Depot and you'll be fine. Also, my top is 57x28,
    which is a tad too big for the cover in cold weather.
    I plan to shave 1/2 inch all around to make it fit better.[p]Chuck

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    KB in the northeast,
    I have a gap of about an inch between the cutout in my table and my egg. A few times during high temp cooks the egg was touching the wood around the cutout, and it definitely gets hot enough to scorch.[p]A paving stone or concrete block is definitely needed underneath.[p]Best of the week to ya. That cedar table sounds nice.
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,895
    Options
    KB in the northeast, make sure you also use the three little green feet as well! The concrete stone of whatever design (round, square or 2 rectangles) and smooth or rocky-top (exposed aggregate as it is called) are a must, but they also draw moisture and if your egg sits directly on them the intense heat will crack them, let alone remain in contact with your BGE. Use da feet, use da feet 8^)

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • ChefRD
    ChefRD Posts: 438
    Options
    RRP, I'm not sure i follow you. I have had my large egg sitting on an octagonal paving stone for about 4 years without using the little feet on the stone. Nothings broke under the egg so far, and I'll bet it won't in the near future either ;).
    Whats gonna crack? the stone or the wooden shelf?
    later,ChefRD[p]

• JJ
    JJ Posts: 951
    Options
    RRP,
    Thanks for information on using the 3 little green feet in conjunction with the the stepping stone. I did not know that I have been using the wrong setp for 23 years and must be lucky as my concrete stepping stones have never cracked as I have never used the 3 little green egg feet.

• Mop
    Mop Posts: 496
    Options
    JJ,See that JJ, thats what great about this forum, ya learn something new everyday.....[p]Mop!

• JJ, climate may have something to do with it. I know I had a cement stone break in half within two months and I wasn't using the feet. Of course where I live we have real swings in temps and just like this morning we are below freezing but will get up to 58° today for a high. I too didn't think the feet were needed, but after the first stone cracked I posted something to that effect and got several comments back suggesting the dual use.
  • JJ
    JJ Posts: 951
    Options
    one feral kat,
    You may have a point there, in climate. Living in the South temp changes are not that drastic.