Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Regular Bricks instead of Fire Bricks

Options
Slap-Yo-Mama
Slap-Yo-Mama Posts: 49
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I looked around Lowe's for fire bricks with no luck. Can I use regular bricks for a raised grid setup or will they explode or something? Thanks!

Comments

• wrobs
    wrobs Posts: 109
    Options
    Slap-Yo-Mama,
    Do you have an Ace Hardware in your area? They carry some fire bricks... 6 to a box I believe. I used a fire brick left over form building my house (wasted money on a real fireplace) and had it cut into 1/3's to hold the grid up. I now have a stainless steel ring (a true rig) that allows me to turn the grid to rotate the meat if needed.
    Good luck
    wrobs

• Darnoc
    Darnoc Posts: 2,661
    Options
    Slap-Yo-Mama,
    Dont even think about it.No need to go into details.Will crumble with high heat.

• Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    Options
    Slap-Yo-Mama, I hear of folks doing that ever so often but they will crack (and possibly explode) when subjected to high heat. If you're looking for something for a low and slow, you can use them but I would wrap in foil. Another idea is to use three soup cans. Either cut the bottom and top out or just turn upside down. And of course - take the label off and rinse them thoroughly.

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    Slap-Yo-Mama,
    paver brickss won't absorb water, which is what causes the much bally-hooed, rarely actually seen "explosions".[p]i have a slew of left over pavers from a paving job, and have used them in a pinch.[p]for low and slow cooks, no worries.
    never actually used them for the higher temps.

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante