Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Hamburgers

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Any info on best way to do burgers on bge? Temp, time, etc.?

Comments

• Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    Options
    Ray Price,
    I did burgers Saturday night. For my wife and kids, I took about 3/8 Pound of ground chuck and after seasoning with salt and pepper, flattened it out to about 5" in diameter and about 3/8" thick (yes that thin). For me I took about a half pound of the chuck and made mine almost 3/4" thick on the edge and then depressed the middle so that the edges we thicker than the middle. I then used soem of the CharCrust Southwestern blend on both sides of all the burdgers. I put them on for 4 minutes a side at 500 degrees and they turned out just right. The thinner burgers were well done and not too thick and mine came out medium and uniformly about 3/4" thick. They were wonderful and I had no complaints from anyone in the family.

• sprinter
    sprinter Posts: 1,188
    Options
    Ray Price,[p]A favorite around my house is blackened blue burgers. I make the patties, rub on a nice coating of a blackening seasoning (available in grocery stores or Paul Prudholm has a nice one in his book, I can get it to you if necessary), then grill as normal. I slow cook my burgers over a 350-375 degree fire until done, times escape me now, probably 15 to 20 minutes for big burgers. At the end of the cook I put a nice hunk of blue cheese on the burgers and maybe some cooked bacon if you want. These are great burgers and very simple to do.[p]Troy
  • JimW
    JimW Posts: 450
    Options
    Ray Price,
    I did a burger last night. About 500-550 dome temp. The burger is about 3/4" thick and 5" in diameter. Publix makes a larger bun that can handle the size, much like a Burger King Whopper. Set the timer for 2:45. When it goes off, go outside and flip. Set the timer for 2:45. When it goes off, pull the burger. It is actually cooked for 3:00 minutes a side. It comes out with just the barest hint of pink inside. BTW, I put on Andria's Steak Sauce (from a restaurant in O'Fallon, IL) about an hour before the cook.
    JimW

• sprinter
    sprinter Posts: 1,188
    Options
    JimW,[p]That Andreas sauce is hard to beat. I have a couple of bottles of it in the pantry all the time, go through a couple of cases during the summer months. I get cases direct from them also and bring them to family get togethers also, the whole family loves the stuff. Ever eaten at the restaurant? Their steaks are the best I've had eating out, bar none.[p]Troy
  • JimW
    JimW Posts: 450
    Options
    sprinter,
    I order it by the case from them. When I was in the Air Force, I would have to eat there at least once every time I got to Scott AFB. It's been almost 10 years since I've been been there though. Their beef filet is my favorite restaurant steak. I also buy their house salad dressing by the case. It can't be beat on a spinach salad.
    JimW

• char buddy
    char buddy Posts: 562
    Options
    Wise One,[p]I like to throw two or three bay leaves into the fire when I first put the burgers on, and then two or three more after I flip'em. [p]My kid doesn't like the pink in the middle, so I let mine dwell two minutes or so after the second side cooks.
  • Uncle Dave
    Options
    Ray Price,
    Hey try 550 deg 2min each side then shut it down to 300 . Then 3 min.each side. Jack Daniels chips and montreal steak seasoning. Good Luck