Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

pork but question cooking now need help

Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
i am cooking a 5 pound pork but right now. I have been cooking for 3 hours the temperature is at 130 now. how long should I wait until I put foil around to get the temp up to 200. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Comments

• i'd bring the core temp up to about 160' then do the foil till 190' pull it and let it rest wrapped up and in a ice chest for 2-3 hrs. i usually just mopp my butt and not foil it it keeps that nice bark crusty and doesn't soften it like foiling will. it's all a matter of personel taste. good luck with your butt!!! ken
  • clay,
    What is your temperature and when did you start?
    At 225-250 degrees (you need a low temp and long time to break down the collagen for the pulled pork)you, like most of us have been, will be up most of the night. You cook until the meat reaches an internal temp of 190-200 degrees, then put it in foil--usually for a couple of hours. But the temperature sticks at about 150 degrees for a few hours until the collagen is broken down and then starts to increase again. But this is for pork butt, if you have a tenderloin it bakes at 350 for only a couple of hours. I am not the most experienced voice here, but our 8 pound butts usually took 12 to 16 hours to come off the egg. You need to watch the fire doesn't die....