Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Newbie Question

Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm about to buy my first BGE and was told to check out the BGE forum. There is a lot of great information here. Including a lot of success stories. But there are also a whole bunch of PROBLEM stories too. Things like fires going out on long slow cooks, fires burning straight down and not spreading out, lump burning to quickly, problems controlling or maintaining the correct temps, and all kinds of other things not working out.[p]I'm new to the whole BBQ thing and am really excited about it. But reading the PROBLEM posts causes me to wonder how hard it is to use the BGE? I realize I will have to experiment a bit. But I hate the idea of wasting great hunks of meat and possibly having to serve over or under cooked meat to my friends as I'm learning to ins and outs of the BGE. [p]Is it as hard to perfect ones cooking techniques on the BGE as all these PROBLEM posts might lead one to believe?[p]THANKS for your help and advice on this![p]Joe

Comments

• Joe Schwatka,[p]
    Even the failures are successes!

• Joe Schwatka,
    Try beer, nothing to it. No big trial and error thing, really hard to mess any "large" chunks of meat if you are fimiliar with cooking on any type grill. Try it, you will be glad.

• Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Joe Schwatka,[p] The Egg is worth every penny. It is rare that the fire burns straight down, but it does happen. The fire going out will happen on any cooker.[p] The art of fire building on the egg isn't all that difficult. Fill it up, spread out the lump, make sure the holes in the grate are not blocked, the path between the bottom and top vent is clear of obstacle (except for the lump) and you will be good to go.[p] Learn the egg you will be happy.[p]
  • BigT
    BigT Posts: 385
    Joe Schwatka,[p]The BGE is like everything else in life (and cooking).[p]Mistakes WILL be made every now and then. Laugh and learn.[p]I recommend starting with either a T-Rex steak or a spatchcocked chicken. Both are easy, teach key skills and are tasty in the bargain.[p]After that, you can get some firebricks or a platesetter and start practicing indirect cooks - hi temp (pizza) and low temp (ribs , butt). For slow cooks, -stay awake!- for your first cook(s).[p]The best accessories, IMHO, are an instant reading thermometer, a leave-in thermomter (polder, maverick,etc.) and this message board. [p]The sooner you pull the trigger, the soone you will be impressing your friends...[p]hth
    BigT

• Sigmore
    Sigmore Posts: 621
    Celtic Wolf, I think the secret to a trusted all-nighter is the liberal use of a wiggle rod about 2 or 3 hours into the cook. That will bust up the coals, clean out the holes and let the good times roll. JMHO

• Celtic Wolf
    sigmore,[p] Eggactly!! the only thing I found still useful from my CharGriller is that meat hook they sell. I use it to poke up through the grate and clear the holes.[p] The LawnRanger makes a tool for that use too.. Might help him afford the summer and winter home if we all bought one..[p][p]
  • Joe Schwatka,
    let not your heart be troubled.[p]people post when they are having problems, not so much when they aren't. it's kinda like going to the doctor and saying i feel great today, fix me.

• Curly,
    Failures? I've not the experience of some here on the forum, but I look at the forum all the time and LEARN from the open-ness of the Eggers. No Failures here. No doubt some cooks were not perfect, but for an old pipefitter, we ate the mis-cooks and learned from them. Moved on to the corrections. No way... failures. [p]Phil, D' optomistic Duck

• Sigmore
    Sigmore Posts: 621
    Celtic Wolf, I got one of those Lawn Ranger "Char-Woody" brand wiggle rods as one of my first tools. It's the most used tool in my arsenal. With the Long Ranger coming in second for them long cooks into the next day.

• Pharmeggist
    Pharmeggist Posts: 1,191
    Joe Schwatka,
    I have only had my large BGE for about 4 months now. Trust me it is the best investment you will ever make. I did a lot of research before purchasing my Egg. See link below.... I studied it long and hard. I haven't had any failures yet!!! I can't believe I ever spent $$$$$$$$ on a Weber gas Grill. In fact my neighbor bought an egg about a month ago... I kept letting him try samples of some of my cooks he loves it too!! The Whiz website rocks!!! Check it out... almost 99.9% certain you will have a great cook! 0.1% is for the population that can't follow directions real good :=)[p]Best Regards, Pharmeggist

[ul][li]http://www.nakedwhiz.com/[/ul]
  • Celtic Wolf
    Pharmeggist,[p] That .1% will find that the 99.9% will be willing to adopt their egg. :)
  • Pharmeggist
    Pharmeggist Posts: 1,191
    Celtic Wolf,
    Yeah, I wish the 0.1% would leave me a small or a mini BGE on my front door step for Christmas. I have got enough lump to handle it ;=)

• I cannot tell if you are a veteran BBQ griller from your note. i can tell that you are serious in your investigation. I moved to the south in 1989 and have had 4 different types of grills and the only one that i still have is my large BGE. I have had to take to the dump many a gas flame throwers ( Charmglow, Kenmore, thermos, Weber). the only one left is the BGE. I felt so sorry for it that I purchased a small to keep it company. The next phase is looking at your name, guessing Eastern European heritage. Well once you make a leg of lamb on the egg, will remind of Grandpa digging a pit and cranking that thing for 24 hours to get the perfect leg of lamb. Well I put mine own after I get the temp to 250, get a good night sleep pull it of in the afternoon and become a hero to the "tribe" . Ask your questions and you will get answers. The only complaints I have is that the Forum does not have a spellchecker and the the infamous TWO WEBSITES.

Another,
    Joe
  • Darnoc
    Darnoc Posts: 2,661
    Joe Schwatka,
    If I read you right in that you are new to this whole BBQ thing. Throw away the cook book that comes with the Egg.Have you cooked on any other cooker?Kettle grill etc.? Welcome aboard on your purchase of the best cooker out there.Wish I had bought mine 40 years ago.I would have been a very happy camper and saved lots of money.Any questions on how to things can be found on the forum.Lots of great people on board that will be glad to help you out, new Egg owner or a pro,we all have questions on cooking.LOL.

• Joe Schwatka,[p]You know, if you talk to a Ford Diesel technician he will tell you that they have alot of problems (turbos) with those Ford Diesels. He may even recommend you buy the Dodge. So, you go and talk the Dodge Diesel technician. He says those Dodge Diesels have lots-o-problems (transmissions). You might want to buy a GM Diesel. So you talk to the GM Diesel technician, he says I work on them dang things all day long. Problems, problems, problems (injectors). I'd buy a Ford if I were you.[p]Point is you never hear about the 999/1000 Diesels that have no issues. 1/1000 or 2/1000 is enough to cause panic at a manufacturer.[p]Buy the egg, If you have concerns about fires burning straight down, Sigmore has already answered your question and you down even have an egg yet. Thats the way this community works. If the experts aren't having their houses remodeled, or cooking at a competition, or cooking on their own egg, then they will answer you right away.[p]Great place, great tool.[p]Enjoy,
    E.

• Joe Schwatka,[p]I've been egging for about 3 years and still consider myself a newbie at this as I am constantly trying different things to get a better taste. Your question is a fair one but I am assuming what you are reading are from people who have tried something new. I agree 100% about not wanting to waste a good piece if meat when something goes wrong. In fact, I hated the idea of wasting 5-6 hours of my time cooking ribs and finding out 1/2 are dry and the other 1/2 are undercooked but I am happy to say you will get many, many successes using the egg too. In the past I tended to be very anal asking forum members millions of questions, using biggreenegg.net to do Searches to get as many questions answered before moving forward. That is a major advantage of owing an egg, the very members on this forum who will answer the same questions, that each newbie poses, with the same enthusiasm as the very first time they were asked.[p]My first overnight I could barely sleep, getting up every couple of hours (thank goodness for the guru, which I got a year later) but I enjoyed every minute of it, I was caught onto the egg bug and BBQing. So, if you like BBQing, if you like to use charcoal which many don't, as I know many who like to use gas and only gas I would say get the egg and dive into how to master it......in 6 months you'll laugh at all the difficulties that now come easy.[p]Good luck,
    Howard

• Joe Schwatka, lots of those "problems" you've read about on this forum indicate users who are seeking higher degrees of perfection.

• Joe Schwatka,[p]I just got my egg. I have done two things on it. I smoked a salmon fillet. It turned out perfectly. I had problems though. I did not put enough lump in the egg. I also did a 7.5 lb boston butt. It came out perfectly. I also had problems maintaining the perfect temperature. Again, I did not put enough lump in and I should have let it heat up some and then cooled it down before putting the butt on. I guess the point is that I learned a couple of things in those two cooks. I gurantee that I will never make the same mistakes again. The egg performed brilliantly despite my failings. I am sure that it will take a couple of weeks or months to become familiar with the newest member of our family but I am ecstatic with the purchase.
  • Joe Schwatka,
    I got my Egg in early August. I had been grilling on a gasser for 20 or more years. It's definitely a different animal, so there was some getting used to it but it's because it can do so much more! I never cooked chicken on the grill, it either burned or dried out. I had cooked ribs from a grocery store, but never a whole rack at a time. I pretty much just cooked steak tips and pork tips and sometimes marinated turkey or chicken (which usually dried out).[p]It was not a no-brainer operation but everyone here is very helpful and soon I realized that it is pretty easy, just different. Steak was a good first cook, but don't do what I did - let your firestarters burn out and smoke to clear (30 min?) before you put the food on![p]It didn't take long before I had carved and cooked up my first slab of ribs and found that my children were evolving into serious carnivores! They stopped asking for stuff to dip their meat in, they liked it straight off the grill![p]I now am comfortable cooking whole chickens, chicken parts, steaks, lamb (my favorite that now my youngest daughter likes too), Pork, roasts, ribs, Pizza, potatoes, sweet potatoes, and squash on the grill.
    I haven't cooked fish yet, but I will. I ordered my fish grill the other day.[p]That being said, my neighbor who's always cooked on a weber got an Egg, and for him it was like upgrading to a high performance sportscar.

• Haggis
    Haggis Posts: 998
    Celtic Wolf,[p]Not complaining here but I've actually had a bunch of cooks - usually with BGE or Royal Oak - where the fire has initially gone straight down and, because I don't have a Guru and actually have to get up in the mucking middle of the mucking night to check, I use the wiggle rod and things work out. [p]This weekend, though, I set up a fire with Wicked Good Weekend Warrior (which tended to be large pieces) and backfilled with Royal Oak so there was smaller and quicker stuff in the gaps. The fire burned beautifully although it got a bit hot (255 Grill) at one point - the pattern of ash was sort of a shallow "Vee" with a very wide top. I had enough left to do my lunch the next day and there's still enough to do a couple more single-meal cooks.
  • Joe Schwatka,
    I am one the posts you saw having a "problem". Believe me when I say it is the first one I have had, and after questioning the forum, and a little more research, it was MY FAULT and not the egg. I have had mine about 2 1/2 months, and have had many more successes than failures. You won't be disappointed with the purchase.

• Joe Schwatka,[p]THANKS everyone for the posts.[p]I am really looking forward to getting my Egg.
    I will be moving into my house at the end of February and will be buying my Egg right away. I have eaten plenty of BBQ but have done very little cooking myself. So any and all info and help I can find is greatly appreciated. I'm rather anal when it comes to starting something new and tend to read and study everything I can find on it. I find it interesting that I've seen it written several times on the forum to toss the manual that comes with the EGG. What's the problem with the manual? Besides the GREAT info on the forum, can you recommend any other books or manuals to check out?[p]Thanks again for all the help![p]Take care and have a Happy Holiday season.[p]Joe

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Texas Geezer,
    well said.[p]my pork butt fire never went out on my gas grill because i never could have imagined cooking a pork butt all night at 250, and even if i did, it wouldna happened inna gasser anyway!

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Joe Schwatka,
    Go to the Naked Whiz's site.
    That's the quintessential go-to resource for all things EGG.

[ul][li]TNW[/ul]
  • Celtic Wolf
    Joe Schwatka,[p] Anything written by Ray Lampke AKA DrBBQ. [p] Don't be afraid to ask questions here before you attempt to cook anything. Lots of great cooks and BBQ competitors hang out here.[p] Stock up on anything Dizzy Pig. It will make even the bad stuff taste good.
  • Joe Schwatka,
    I don't think anyone has any real issues with the manual parts of the manual. It's the recipes that are misleading as to time/temps. Not sure why that is. Perhaps it was compiled pre-"Space Age Material" Egg. Perhaps people just found better ways. Maybe tastes changed.[p]Bottom line - you'll get better answers here then by refering to it.[p]Kelly

• Joe Schwatka,[p]My "failure" got rave reviews from the people at work
    who were at the potluck I took the pit beef to and my
    wife who got what little was set aside for her from
    what I made for the potluck. The fact that the roast
    got a little overdone was my fault. I was trying to
    keep an eye on what the kids were doing as well as
    cook at the same time. Not a BGE failure at all.[p]I have yet to have a failure that was worse than
    what I normally could produce on the Weber I used
    to have.[p]I will happily take a BGE failed meal any day.