Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Wife's Revenge

Orio Kid
Orio Kid Posts: 87
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Well my thoughts about reconcilliation went up in smoke. I must not have had my temp stabilized. I went out to see how my pizza was doing and my temp had shot up to over 700*. Wife called the neighbors and they all came out to see. They had a good laugh. I was as hot as the egg. My second try was not any better, I did not let the egg and stone come down in temp enough. BURNT!! So was I.
God Bless Pizza Hut, they deliver.
Jake
ps Wife is well pleased now, still laughing at me. SHE is still talking to the neighbors and I can here them outside laughing.

Comments

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Orio Kid , those pizza take a plan of attack...but you will have that snicker bunch beggin for pizza in a few more tries.. I love your attitude..I had a super pizza from left over herb roasted chicken from the "EGG" a few nights ago..It can be done.
    Cheers to the Orio Kid...
    C~W[p]

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    pizza2.jpg
    <p />Orio Kid ,[p]You said stone -- as in single stone. Did you have more than just a stone on the grid?? You need 2 stones, a setter & stone, a few firebricks & stone or a raised grid and stone to avaoid burnt crust. I use a slide/daisy top and open it wide. With it on the Egg will not go over 600 deg easily. In 20 min or so you can get it up to 650 but not much over that so it protects from "runaway" temps. I have done about 50 pizzas and never burnt a crust yet. I hav ehad some under done and some hard as a rock but never a burnt spot yet.[p]Tim
  • Orio Kid
    Orio Kid Posts: 87
    Tim M,
    I had my lower grid, 6 firebricks on end, a grid to set my stone on, and the daisy wheel top wide open. The temp was well over 750*. Maybe I have gone where no egger has gone before. I don't know what happened.
    No worries mate, Pizza Hut came through.
    Jake

• Mop
    Mop Posts: 496
    Orio Kid ,don`t feel so bad......I just had my egg go out on me with a load of jerky in it....[p]It`s in the oven to finish the last hour or so..[p]Mop!

• Huck
    Huck Posts: 110
    Jake, I bake mine at those temps anyway! The crust comes out crunchy and the toppings are well done. You just have to watch it closer and not let it sit in there forever. Another thing, at that temp, don't slide the pie on a hot stone, put it all in there together (easier anyway) and this lets the fixins bake on at the same rate as the dough baking. This is my opinion! Make a prime rib roast, my wife's favorite, and not let her have any!!! The first rule of egg, Thou shalt not hassle thy cook, he may not share! Neener Neener phat!
  • Tim M
    bbac2.jpg
    <p />Orio Kid,[p]That sounds like lots of ceramic for sure. I have never used 6 laying on their sides (you said on end but I assume you meant on their sides) with a stone on top. I used the |__| pattern with the stone on top when I did use firebricks and I never had a problem, but I can't even get the dome up to 700 with the slide/daisy wide open.[p]You didn't mention what top you were using, I am assuming you had none to get to that temp. You also did not mention how long the preheat was. I am a firm believer that if a crust burns before the toppings are done (provided you have 500+ deg dome) then the stone was too hot. Why was the stone too hot can be 2 things:[p]too much preheating of it
    not enough shielding from the fire [p]Since you have bricks and a stone. I would suggest you try the |__| setup and let that part come up to 550 deg. Then add the stone and wait 5 min-10 min max. Add the pizza and in 10-14min your done. If the crust is under done, then you need more preheating. If it burns, less preheating next time. [p]Picture shows the firebrick setup I liked to use.[p]Tim

• Char-Woody
    Tim M,
    Thats good, but I wonder why the double brick on the left side?
    C~W ????[p]

• Tim M
    Char-Woody,[p]That's simple. Since we are in the northern hemispere - the Coriolis effect makes water spin down a drain in the clockwise direction (like tornados). Someone in the southern hemisphere would get a counter clockwise spin. Since we are northern the effect of rising heat and smoke take a counter spin rotation than does the water that falls down the drain - so the double brick will counter the opposite rotation of the Coriolis effect on the rising heat vapors.[p][p][p]In other words -- I had an extra one and used it for more support! [p]Tim
  • Char-Woody
    Tim M, Hmmmmmm....Gotcha! I have lost sleep over that one..Thanks pal..!
    C~W[p]

• Tim M
    Char-Woody...,[p]Sometimes my memory is so good I recall the tiniest details, sometimes I can't recall my name. Actually, you and I emailed alot in those days about firebrick setups. You started adding the extra brick for support and since i was just taking and posting the pictures, based on others suggestions, I positioned them as you told me too -- so it was your idea in reality. As you can see from the picture, it was long ago and those bricks had never been used before. I wouldn't do it today but it doesn't hurt and it does give a little extra support for the grid that goes on top or the stone that would if doing pizza.[p]Tim
  • Char-Woody
    Tim M, Been a long time as you say..It may have been a misconception as I usually only used 3 on edge like that was when I used two in the center flat, and then 3 on edge around those two..When using three flat, then only two is needed, and then I usually space them along side whatever width my drip pans are..or even clear to the grill edge's. The support is generally adequate with two bricks on edge for most any cook, grill, or pizza stone. When I use my tri legged plate sitter for baking or pizza, I generally use two flat brick's on the grill, under the sitter leaving about 3 inches of air space twixt the brick and sitter bottom.
    I have a experiment for both you and Spin to try sometime when doing pizza. I have to give it a few runs here first for finality but I think it's workable. Lots of dough variables in pizza cooks from thin and crispy to self rising on the timing and finish.
    Cheers to ya TimM...
    C~W[p]