Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Fresh Ham

Options
Lawn Ranger
Lawn Ranger Posts: 5,467
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
The last Christmas tool is shipped, and now I can focus on some cooking. I'm doing, for the first time, a fresh ham for Christmas Day. Any tips that anyone would like to share would be appreciated,....or, you could just buy my house.[p]Many Thanks.[p]Mike

Comments

• SSN686
    SSN686 Posts: 3,504
    Options
    Morning Lawn Ranger:[p]Or you could work on tools/handles that are not Christmas presents?????[p]Just kidding![p]Have a GREAT day!
    Jay

Have a GREAT day!

Jay

Brandon, FL

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    Lawn Ranger,
    no suggestions, just impressed there's something you HAVEN'T cooked on the egg![p]glad to hear you shipped the last of your stuff. nice to be done i bet.

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • eggaholic
    Options
    Lawn Ranger,
    I bought one that had water added. Am going to soak in cold water for at least 3 days to remove as much salt as I can. Then Smoke with hickory at @250 for 2hrs.,glaze then raise to 350deg.,Baste with coke and look for internal of about 170ish. foil let rest. EAT

• 1shot1kill
    Options
    Lawn Ranger,
    Just dont burn it, and have some beer on hand and we will be allright. Anything I need to bring??

• eggaholic
    Options
    eggaholic,
    Changing internal temp to 155deg.

• EddieMac
    EddieMac Posts: 423
    Options
    Happy Holidays, Lawn Ranger![p]I've done three or four fresh hams this year...And they're easy and a real crowdpleaser....I inject mine with applejuice...water...worcestershire....light brown sugar....[p]I cut the fat cap into a diamond pattern...but not too deep as to really cut into the meat...cover with yellow mustard and then coat with your favorite rub...[p]Although fresh hams can be fatty on the outside, they're lean on the inside...This is a hot-n-fast affair...350 dome...Pull off when internal meat temp hits 150....keeping in mind that the meat is dense and will continue to cook after taking it off at 150......For my taste...A fresh ham or a smoked Prime Rib are THE best for Christmas....[p]Good Luck![p]Ed McLean
    Ft. Pierce, FL

• eddiemac, at 350* how much time, roughly, per pound? Jim.

• Lawn Ranger
    Options
    eddiemac,[p]Ah!.... Now that's what I was looking for! Those were the instructions that I had gotten from our Aramark (food service) Chef here on campus. He thought it was cool that I was doing it on the Egg. It's kind of neat to talk to a professional, non-egger who talks the same language and thinks that the Egg is cool.[p]I was gonna use the mustard, but hadn't thought of the injection. I'm using a bit pecan for smoke.[p]Thanks, My friend![p]Mike

• Lawn Ranger
    Options
    stike,
    As well as some stuff that I shouldn't have, ...but I digress.[p]BTW, I am only caught up on the "MUST HAVE BEFORE CHRISTMAS" stuff....as is witnessed by the barbed post immediately below from my Buddy in the Sunshine State.[p]LR

• Lawn Ranger
    Options