Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Christmas Turkey-Mad Max Questions

FriendlyEgg
FriendlyEgg Posts: 16
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm doing a practice bird for Christmas today (just put her on) - and I was wondering if you guys & gals could help answer some comments / questions please?[p]1) No mention of stuffing with Mad's famous recipee - how do you guys do stuffing?
2) In simmering the gravy, I scratched our corian stove top almost ending my marriage last year. How do you simmer the gravy without ruining one of those smooth top stoves?
3) The legs of my bird seem to be pretty spread, so I tied them together with twine (I assume that is fine)
4) Instead of doing the full production with herbs, I used a mix of Dizzy rubs (Raging & All Purpose) with salt, butter & pepper - anyone have good experience in doing this?
5) When I poured the wine on the bird, most of my rubs fell off. I am wondering if my turkey was not dry enough first. Comments?
6) I have some old-timers that will be put off because of the pink meat - someone posted a link a few weeks ago about some gov agency talking about pink meat in smokers as being fully cooked - what is the link ? (I will print out and have copies at Xmas).[p]Thanks a million guys - I will try and post pics as the cook moves along.[p]
FriendlyEgg

Comments

• Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    FriendlyEgg,[p]1: Max doesn't stuff his bird. If you stuff you need to make sure that the stuffing reaches 165 too. This will throw off the other temps. Make sure you tie the bird as tight as you can to avoid the stuff from getting to omuch smoke.[p]2: Your on your own with the divorce thingy :) Actually boil a small about of water. In a separate pan pour all the gook from the Roaster into another sauce pan. On a safe surface pour the boiling water in the the was is left in the roaste. Use a spoon and scape the reminants into the boiling water. Use the water to help. Pour that into the sauce pot and follow max's recipe from there.[p]3: Yes that is fine[p]4: Anything with Dizzy anything on it it good :)[p]5: Pour the Wine first and then coat with the rub.[p]6: can't remember the link..
  • FriendlyEgg,
    1. i do stuffing separate of the bird. . .IMHO, wet bread just absorbs too much smoke, so i don't do it in the bird or in the egg (i know celtic wolf stuffs his bird with good results, hopefully he'll weigh in on this one). .
    2. not sure why the pan for gravy is any more dangerous on your stove top than any other pot on the stove?? . .. just be careful not to scratch it. ..
    3. tying them with twine is fine. . .just make sure you have enough gap to reach your bulb baster into the cavity to draw out the juices for basting
    4. dizzy rubs should be good too. . .no rules on what to rub your bird with. . .
    5. maybe, just sprinkle a little more rub on . . .and when you baste, the rub that ran off will still be in the basting liquid. .. shouldn't be an issue. .
    6. don't know where to find that article. .. just tell your guests not to worry about it. .[p]HTH. . .

• FriendlyEgg,
    i love google![p]always ice the breast.

[ul][li]is pink turkey meat safe?[/ul]
  • IMG_0378.jpg
    <p />I know when we did ours Thanksgiving we noticed that 1/2 bottle of wine on the bird wasn't enough (not sure why as thats what the recipe calls for) but we ended up adding water to the drippings in the pan during the cooking so that we could baste the bird. Turned out great though.
  • Thanks a million for the advice & comments - greatly appreciated. I have attached some pics to the post.[p]Now I need to go eat!!!![p]Thanks again - you guys are great.[p]P1010001.jpg[p]In the begining - I used Dizzy instead of butter (I could have rubbed it a little more probably).[p]P1010002.jpg[p]P1010004.jpg