Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Temp Variation from grate to thermometer.

Options
Mop
Mop Posts: 496
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Does anyone know the actual diff from the temp at the grate and that at the thermometer?[p]I realize that all info with regards to temps here on the forum are at the thermometer.
Thats all good but for extremly low temp cooks it might be handy to know the grate temp. for example "beef jerky".[p]Now in the case of people using "cure" thats not really a big deal but for those that do not it might be!
We all know about the 40º to 140º "danger zone" .
Not to alarm but more of a awareness issue.
For example if there`s jerky in the Egg and your thermometer reads 150º , heat rises so we know the the temp where the food lies is definitly lower, maybe low enough to put us into the "danger" zone.
I have a polder digital thermometer and to follow up I`ll take a few readings and post results unless someone has already done and documented it...
Just a thought......[p]Mop!

Comments

• Cat
    Cat Posts: 556
    Options
    Mop,[p]A long time ago I charted the delta over several cooks and posted the results. The variation can be as much as 50 degrees, and it's typically greater at high temps. Over a long low-and-slow cook grate and dome temps tend to equalize. [p]I always keep a Polder at grill level so I know what temp the meat is actually seeing.[p]Cathy

• Earl
    Earl Posts: 468
    Options
    Cat,[p] Hi Cat, great to see your post again, do we get to see you again in DC. Sure hope so!![p]Barb & Earl
  • Cat
    Options
    Earl,[p]Things are a bit up in the air for me but I'm hoping to make Eggfest. It would be great to see you & Barb again.[p]Cathy

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Options
    I'm glad to see you post that one Cat, and don't forget the potato...this one has your signature on it..
    It's so old in the archives it has whiskers on it, but still on the money..
    Cheers to ya..
    C~W[p]

• Cat
    Options
    Char-Woody,[p]I use a wine cork these days...more of those around the house than taters. ;-}
  • Mop
    Options
    Cat,I would be curious to read your results, do you recall where they might be?[p]I too use a polder on my Smoke'NPit but I don`t with the Egg cause all the temps here at the dome![p]Mop!

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Options
    Cat, A wine cork..Phhhhuuutuuuuiiii. I eat the tater.:-)

• Mop
    Options
    Cat, I use two lemon wedges, one just past the tip and the other just before the bend.....It gives off a nice smell till it drys up.....using two keeps the probe from dipping down and coming in contact with the grate...[p]Mop!