Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What I learned today...

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Today I put a couple more cooks under my belt.[p]First up was a whole roasted chicken. Went for a smaller one, about 5 pounds. I decided to try the mustard slather thing and it came out really well. Just the mustard and a light coating of some "cajun quick" spice (I haven't gotten to getting my own rubs yet) sitting on a Willie sitter full of Killians. I used a couple of small chunks of hickory for a little smoke. Cooked for about 2 hours around 400, till the breast was about 175 and the thigh over 180. That was probably a little too done, but I am always nervous about undercooking chicken. I thought it was good, but my wife was picking meat off the bones and said she didn't want to take the leftovers to her sister's tomorrow. Guess it was better than I thought. <g>[p]Again I had trouble getting the fire started well, but this was just my inexperience I am sure. I used fresh lump and cleaned out the entire firebox, took it apart even. I have been using a gel starter the Egg dealer recommended but I think I may switch to the starter cubes folkes here have mentioned. Once I got the fire going, it was extremely easy to control.[p]Once that cook was over, I refilled her with fresh lump, got the temp back where I wanted it and threw on some wings and thighs. These I had been marinating in some Corky's rub and bbq sauce for about 4 hours. I let the fire get too hot and burned a couple of the wings early in the cook. I got the temp down and about 45 minutes into the cook, I pulled the wings. I let the thighs go another 20 minutes or so (after putting on more sauce and dropping the temp to 325-350). These came out great. Wife had a hard time saying which she liked better, the bbq'd or the roasted. Though I had a few problems, overall I'd say the day's cooks were pretty successful. [p]The really cool thing I learned today was something that you have all been saying since I have been reading this forum. I noticed this time more than before, that when I opened the lid to let the heat out/air in to prevent flashback, a great deal of steam came out. The heat coming past my hand on the lid handle was very moist, so much so that it really surprised me. Both meals today were very moist, definetly among the best I have ever made with any of my other grills/smoker.[p]I know this was long and for all that made it this far, thanks for reading. I haven't had a perfect cook yet, though I know with some more time and practice I will get there. Especially with the support of you fine folks who are all so willing to help us newbies over the hump.[p]Happy St. Patrick's Day![p]Mike [p][p]

Comments

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    homer2.gif
    <p />Mike Bowen,[p]Sounds like you had a busy day. I have never seen or heard of a gell starter - interesting. I use to use fireplace log chunks (mainly because I had a case or two of them. When I ran out I got some Webber fire cubes and have been more than happy with them. [p]Yep, burp the Egg a little to vent off smoke and steam --- done that, been there. My knuckles still have little to no hair.[p]Perfection is just around the corner - you are doing great.[p]

• Chuck
    Chuck Posts: 812
    Options
    Mike Bowen,
    Sounds like a good day. I did chicken thighs and legs last night and had to close up everything a couple times to not flare up, i think you need to keep an eye on the chicken because of the fat. I am new at this too and have been learning as I go also, underdid a turkey a couple weeks ago and overdid the burgers. But, i have learned from the great people here, as well as from my mistakes, and thing are getting better all the time. [p]I'm not sure what the gel stuff is you are talking about but I use a starter cube that my dealer sells for 25 cents apiece and have never had a problem getting the fire started. Give some of the cubes a try. [p]Have a great night,[p]Chuck <><

• Almost forgot,
    For the roaster I left my polder knockoff probe in the whole time. Even durning the few minutes that it spiked up to about 425. I had the lead wrapped in aluminum foil like someone here recommended. Worked like a champ. Just another of the many things I have learned from the pros....[p]Mike

• Tim M,
    Yep I am pooped. As for the gel starter, I just used the last of it and chunked the bottle so I don't have the name handy. It is an alcohol based gel, very blue color, and not exactly cheap. I am going to give those starter cubes a try, I've got a feeling they will work better. I will dig the bottle out tomorrow for the name if you are interested.[p]>My knuckles still have little to no hair.[p]What about your palms? Doh! Bad Mikey, baaaad Mikey. Dang whiskey kicking in....[p]Mike

• Mop
    Mop Posts: 496
    Options
    Tim M, I believe thats a good thing that you don`t have hairy palms.........LOL...[p]so sorry folks, so sorry!......
    (:[p]Mop!

• Mop
    Options
    Mike Bowen, Mike, I find if I cut a weber fire starter cube in half and put both halves in the charcoal that it works well...
    For me a full cube burns too long, the coals are well on their way and that stupid thing is still burning...I don`t want to put the food on while it`s still burning.
    So the half cubes light the lump and burn off quicker.....Not necessarily the right way, just the way that works for me!..
    Plus, a box of cubes are $9.95 here!.....before tax~
    Mop~
    Mop!

• JJ
    JJ Posts: 951
    Options
    Mop,
    OUCH!!!!! $9.95 for weber fire cubes??????????? $1.95 US at Lowes in my hometown in Alabama. You going to be at EGGfest in MD next month?????

• Mop
    Options
    JJ,Ya, thats a box with 24 cubes in it......Hey, it`s a bbq wasteland here I`ll tell ya, Ask bbqfan1, he`ll tell you.
    Bbq stuff is rare here, getting better lately but still a ways to go.[p]I`m thinkin we won`t be there, hoidays didn`t work out in my favour, ya never know though.....I`m still trying but for now it looks like no!..[p]Mop!

• Tim M
    Options
    Mop,[p]""Plus, a box of cubes are $9.95 here!.....before tax~""[p]
    OUCH - You gotta cross the border and buy some of them American fire cubes. I am thinking I pay $4 at the most. I had them on my Xmas list and got 3 boxes - still got plenty. [p][p]Tim

• Tim M
    Options
    JJ,
    Your quoted price may be correct - I was guessing at under $4 per box but that seems high, I just can't recall the price -- I just grab and pay. Your price sound correct.[p]Tim

• Mop
    Options
    Tim M, to tell you the truth I was across the border last night, we went across to Niagra Falls NY.....It`s an hour drive from here.
    Our twenty dollar bill yesterday was worth just UNDER $12.00 USD.[p]I`ll stay here till things pick up again...LOL[p]Mop![p]

• Huck
    Huck Posts: 110
    Options
    Mike Bowen,
    I'd stop foolin' around with starters and get a chimney coal starter. You'll have that thing up and running like a champ and you'll KNOW that you've got fire. You can pour them in pretty soon after they get going for an easy slow start or you can let the whole chimney of coal fire up for a blazing hot kick start of a fire. Besides, do you want that starter junk in your food?

• Huck,
    Whatever works for you! The little cheapo camping firestarters are what I have been using since the beginning. I always wait until after the firestarter has burnt up, and usually even longer thatn that (I prefer cooking on a stabilized egg). No starter junk in my food!![p]Great weekend to ya.
    NB

• Dang. Since my kids spilled my beer all over my keyboard, the "t" doesn't work sometimes. Funky handle eh? [p]Naure Boy, Mature Boy, Mature Toy, Natire Boy...what's next?
  • JJ
    JJ Posts: 951
    Options
    NB,
    New keyboard!!

• Uncle Dave
    Options
    Tim M,
    I use those fireplace starter cubes all the time. For me they work better than starter sticks. They just seem to make the BGE light faster. This weekend looks great im spld Mo. Hope it is good at your house Too!