Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Picnic Help

Ronbo
Ronbo Posts: 90
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I just couldn't bring myself to pay what Publix was charging for Boston Butt and have never tried a Picnic until now. Just a couple of questions[p]1)Should I trim off the fat and skin before cooking, score it at least so the DP and smoke get in???[p]2)I assume 200 internal since it is pretty close to being the same cut of meat??[p]Thank you for your help

Comments

• Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    Ronbo, some people cut off much of the fat cap but I score it real well so the rub can get through and just leave it on. I cook until it reaches 195 to 205 (just like a butt). I have found that you get a bit less meat out of it (there is more fat in it) but I think the taste is just as good.

• Ronbo, not sure where you live, but Kroger's, Food Lion, Wal-mart, ranged between 1.09 1.29 for butt's. Definitly nothing wrong with a Picnic, just a little extra work getting the fat off

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,672
    Ronbo,
    meats a little darker, but has more flavor. i havent found butts bone in around here so i like the picnic cooks better, save the bone in the freezer for later as it makes a tasty soup starter. fat and skin removal is up to you depending on how much bark you want in the finished product. there is some messy fat in there when pulling them that doesnt look good, so you need to remove that after cooking. its the same cook as a butt.

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Ronbo,
    I remove the skin in order to get more bark. -RP

• katman
    katman Posts: 331
    Wise One,
    I usually slice the rind/cap so I can peel it open and put rub on the meat. Then I fold it back over the rub. Cook it pretty much the same as a butt.

• Ronbo
    Ronbo Posts: 90
    Thank you all - I appreciate the help[p]I am going to trim it off and cook it like a butt since I really like the bark.[p]Btw - they were charging 2.29lb for bone in butt and .99lb for the picnic hence the reason I thought I would give it a shot
  • Gene
    Gene Posts: 99
    Ronbo, After cooking you can put the Skin in the Oven and have a large Pork Skin. Don't remeber the Temp.